Need some opinions...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by babyhopes09, Dec 1, 2012.

1. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

I'm in a bit of a panic... Dh and I have our 3 kids under 3 and I work part-time as a therapist in a local school district for 2.5 days a week. We were fortunate enough to find a young woman who came highly recommended by a co-worker..the only catch was that she would be bringing her 3 year old daughter with her.. She has worked out fine. For the past 2 years, but now she has told us she is pregnant and is due two months before the end of the school year. She is a single mom and obviously needs the work, but she seems to be slowing down... Our girls are 2.5 and our son is 15 months.. She says she wants to keep working for us, but I believe that leaving 5 children under 5 in her care, two of which are her own, is asking too much of her. I don't want to leave her without a job right before this baby is born, but she seems as if she is really starting to have more physical needs that get in the way of the attention our little ones need...

So.. My question for all of you that use nannies/sitters... Is it unheard of to find someone reliable to watch our kids at our house for only half of the week? Also, do you recommend sitter city or care.com to find a good person? How do you ensure you can trust them other than interviews and background checks? And my last question: I don't want to be unkind to our current nanny, but I don't want to get screwed on timing if she should get put on bed rest. The latest possible time we would need someone by would be April, so how long do yu think it takes to find someone good? Thank you so much for your insight.. I'm really stressing.

2. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I have used care.com with good success to find short-term care in the past. They offer some basic background checks and referrals. I always insisted that they come by to meet the girls so everyone could get acclimated before the big day (and so I could get a good feel for them!). It's entirely possible to find a good parttime nanny. I've used SAHMs that needed some more cash, a PICU nurse between jobs, and substitute teachers. You can also find some nannies that are part time with other families and looking to fill the gap.

On that note, check your local MoMs group for anyone looking to nanny share. Another plus of care.com is that you can specify experience with multiples.

3. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I have great luck with Care.com, not so much with Sittercity.com.

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

I used care.com to find part time nannies. All of the girls we used were students and I LOVED them (as did my girls) because they had so much energy! I did three phases of interviews- first at Barnes & Noble (neutral territory for all of us), once with just me, and then I asked our final girl to come over for an hour one afternoon just to observe her moving around my girls and in my house. All of my applicants came armed with references and I friended them on facebook once we got serious (not to spy, but more to get a feel for the type of values).

I had wonderful experiences with nannies (only one exception and that was a no-call, no-show on the second week of work).