Need some encouragement

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sruth, Feb 23, 2011.

1. sruth

sruth Well-Known Member

My DD has always been the twin that’s been delayed in every milestone. About 6 months ago we started EI Speech Therapy. Initially we went through the state program and without saying too much that experience was a joke.
    Last month we decided to go private for her weekly sessions. Within two sessions this new ST started asking questions and I quickly learned why. She hasn’t been fully evaluated specifically for Apraxia but based on our Q & A I think it’s very likely.
    After doing some research online it seems with Speech Therapy they can improve and most do. Can someone share their experience and good news!

2. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I don't have any direct experience with apraxia (Sarah was in ST from about age 2-3), but just wanted to say good for you for pursuing better therapy. They are still very young, and chances are very good that she'll make great progress!

1 person likes this.
  3. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I agree. I think that's awesome that you realized EI wasn't making enough difference for her and went to private speech. Way to be your child's advocate!

My dd was in EI for gross motor and speech and we had a great experience and it helped tremendously but I have no experience with apraxia. I do think that catching it early (as you have done) is very helpful.

1 person likes this.
  4. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Just wanted to give :grouphug: . I don't have any experience with apraxia, but it sounds like you are on the right track with having her re-evaluated.

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't have any experience either, but I think private therapy sounds like a great idea. It is too bad that the State program wasn't more helpful, but good for you for realizing it & going elsewhere! :hug:

6. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

DS #2 was diagnosed with Speech Apraxia after a head injury. But it is typically not diagnosed so early. He was 2 1/2. His was aquired and not developmental. He "recovered", but that is different from developmental. You should really seek out the Apraxia organization to get some more info. If she does indeed end up with an Apraxia diagnosis, then speech therapy is very important. Taking time off of therapy for summer is discouraged, due to the nature of regression with the disorder. There are some other things that would be helpful for you to know. I'll see if I can find the link for you. It's been a long time and one computer removed. So I've lost the link but I think this is it: http://www.apraxia-kids.org/

7. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

From what I have read and worked with..I know it is difficult to diagnose before 3. It is possible that one or both of mine are...but still too young to tell.

8. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

Kayci started with the district special ed preschool for speech issues just after turning 3. She was never officially diagnosed with apraxia but both speech pathologists used that as their jumping off point for her IEP. She is in K this year and doing great! She is pulled from her mainstream class several days a week for ST/OT. Early intervention is the best thing you can do so WTG momma!