Need ideas for adding to grilled cheese sandwiches

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Reeny691, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Reeny691

Reeny691 Well-Known Member

Well DD & DS like grilled cheeese sandwiches. I'm looking for ideas on what fruit or veggies I can add to grilled cheese sandwiches. DD doesn't like too many fruits or veggies but I want to try to slip it into the sandwich. Any advice? also what type of cheese?

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

For the type of cheese, you can buy real cheese slices, they are made by black diamond, so at least they arent eating processed cheese. I usually buy the cheddar for my boys. As far as what veggies, you could do peas, pieces of broccoli, corn, green beans, yellow beans. For fruit, not too sure.

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I cook up some frozen mixed veggies and stick them in between a Kraft Single. I make a little more than I need and give them the rest as a veggie side.

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I do apple slices, grapes, veggie purees, sweet potatoes (also as fries on the side), red peppers, grated zucchini... basically anything we have!

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Tomato slices. Avocado slices. Apple slices (great with a hearty cheddar). Sprouts. Cucumber slices. Zucchini slices. Pear slices.

For cheese, really anything goes. I often do "gourmet" grilled cheese and tomato bisque--I generally stop buy the cheese counter and buy a few things that look interesting. Fontina makes a great grilled cheese. Any kind of cheddar. Swiss. Gouda. Muenster. Havarti (or Havarti with dill--yum). I experiment with combos. Sometimes it's great and sometimes so so depending on how well the cheeses mesh.

6. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

If you wanted to be "sneaky" you could spread a veggie puree like butternut squash or sweet potato on the inside before grilling. :)