Need help toddler-proofing

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ECUBitzy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

We have an armoire in the girls' room that I briefly considered getting rid of (in favor of something less top-heavy). Paul reminded me that I want to completely redecorate their room when they transition into twin beds, so I'm going to hold onto it for now.

The problem is that we don't let the girls hang out in their room because of the risk of them pulling this huge thing over on themselves. I'd really like to open their room up, so I'm looking to y'all for tips on how to secure this thing to the wall. Any ideas?

Hereis the piece.

I've already handled the cord from the lamp, so I think we'd be okay if I can be assured that they won't climb this furniture and get crushed by it.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

L brackets. (Your picture doesn't work for me.)

Go to the local Home Depot, get a 2x4 the length of the armoire, drill it into the studs in their room. Then drill the brackets into the back of the armoire and onto the piece of wood.

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We used L brackets as well.

4. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

So you drill the L brackets into the top of the piece of furniture?

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

This works too http://www.renovateyourworld.com/HowTo_Library/How_to_Secure_Furniture_to_the_Wall-Safety-S2600.html

I think it's what we have, on second thought.

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Would it fit in the closet? Then you would just need closet locks. That's what we did.

7. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

I have done both...their dresser is in their closet with a lock on the closet door and we used L brackets for the bookshelf in their room. Yes, the L bracket screws into the wall and the piece of furniture.

8. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

We've used L-brackets too and not, you connect one leg of the L to the wall and the other lays over top (close to the top but enough room that if you want to pull the furniture out, you can) of the armoire. We've also used furniture straps that attach to the furniture but I like the L-brackets better.