Need help/ressurrance on transitioning to sleeping in their beds

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lucky123, Sep 10, 2008.

1. lucky123

lucky123 Well-Known Member

Our twins are 11 wks. They've been sleeping (and napping) in their bouncy seats, swaddled up for a while now :FIFblush: . We've been trying to transition them to their bed (or P-N-P during the day). They'll go to sleep with effort BUT the main problem is they don't stay asleep for nearly as long. We've gone from nice 5-6 hr stretches at night back to 3-4 hrs. Naps during the day have shortened too. :huh: Despite the miracle blankets as tight as I can figure, they seem to be able to bend their legs up, which wakes them up. Obviously, they can't do this in the bouncy seats.

WWYD? I'm so missing the extra sleep but I want them to learn to sleep in bed too. Will they eventually sleep better in their beds if we keep at it?

2. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

QUOTE(lucky123 @ Sep 10 2008, 06:10 PM) [snapback]973899[/snapback]
    WWYD? I'm so missing the extra sleep but I want them to learn to sleep in bed too. Will they eventually sleep better in their beds if we keep at it?

I definitely think so :hug:.

3. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We tried a couple of times to move ours to beds before 3 months, and it never really worked. We finally gave up on it until about 3.5 months (maybe even 4), and it went fine. I think we did have one or two nights when they woke up a little more often, but one of them was STTN by that point and the other one was just waking to eat. So when she woke "a little more often," it was just to fuss a little, which we mostly ignored because she would go back to sleep after a few minutes. And after a few nights in the cribs, they didn't even do that.

4. lisaessman@verizon.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Don't give up!

5. jenanne

jenanne Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. It is so frustrating to take a few steps back when you're working on progress! And sleep is everything in our world of twins :)

Mine slept in the cosleeper from the start during the night (bouncies during the day) so that wasn't as hard for us, but the swaddling part was. We had a few bad nights without it, but they learned to wiggle into a comfortable spot and afterwards I felt great that we made the switch to free their limbs. They really are learning to roll around at this stage and I wonder if we held them back a little with the swaddling. But, mine were broken out of their kiddopotamus swaddles by their midnight feedings, and we didn't reswaddle them so I knew they could sleep. Not sure if yours go back to sleep after they've busted loose?

Ours also took a step back when they learned to roll over, around 4 1/2 months or 5 (I can't remember). They didn't like sleeping on their bellies at first but couldn't flip back over. At first we flipped them back (over and over) and then had to let them be. They got through it and began to love sleeping on their bellies. They still sleep exclusively on their bellies now. I think it's natural to go through these phases of less sleep but it ends up being even better than before once they get through it. Hang in there!!

6. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

I agree, don't give up ~ they will adjust & it will get better!
    Stay consistent & it will pay off in the end :hug:

7. sbcowell

sbcowell Well-Known Member

We always did nighttime sleep in the cribs, but for naps we use to use bouncy and swings, until around 4mnths we transitioned them to the crib and pnp. And, it was sad but true the transition meant shorter naps for sure, but in the end I am glad that we did it. For us transitioning them during day naps didn't work well until ours were 4mnths old (and mine were not born early).

Good Luck!

8. lucky123

lucky123 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(isis @ Sep 11 2008, 01:07 AM) [snapback]974531[/snapback]
    We always did nighttime sleep in the cribs, but for naps we use to use bouncy and swings, until around 4mnths we transitioned them to the crib and pnp. And, it was sad but true the transition meant shorter naps for sure, but in the end I am glad that we did it. For us transitioning them during day naps didn't work well until ours were 4mnths old (and mine were not born early).

Good Luck!

They start off sleeping at night in the co-sleeper but when they wake up, they often sleep a lot longer if we transfer them to a bouncy seat (like 2 more hrs).

And it's not that they break the swaddle, but that they can still bend their legs (or is that breaking the swaddle?). How long do you all swaddle?