Need help quick.... recommendations for top of stairs bottom of stairs saftety gate that can be use

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by desolation_anonymous, Mar 29, 2010.

1. desolation_anonymous

desolation_anonymous Well-Known Member

And they both climbed up the stairs and one fell down this morning (heard a thump
    thump thwack then crying)

They figured out the safety gate in their downstairs baby proofed 'safe area'. while I was upstairs getting dressed.

The gate they opened was a kidco gate with a latch that doesn't work so well (anymore) on the top.... and you need to push up/out and they opened it.

We haven't mounted gates on the stairs because it is metal on the side with a banister that goes in. Instead, we have been keeping them in a baby-proofed 'safety area (1 room and the kitchen) when they're up.

Need recommendations- quick- on gates that work well (need a latch, etc). and don't have cheap bits to keep our boys off the stairs.

Our boys are 17 months old.

Thanks!

2. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

We have 2 of the Safety 1st Perfect Fit Gates; one at the top of the stairs and one at the bottom. The one at the top we hardware mounted, and the one at the bottom is pressure mounted. I don't know if you can use the hardware mounts with your stair configuration, but the pressure mounts work really well and the latches are nigh impossible for a toddler to manage. I have a hard time working them with one hand!

I'm so sorry your LO fell; I hope he's okay and that you find a baby gate that works ASAP! :hug: Both of my boys have fallen down the stairs (*someone* forgot to put the bottom gate up), so I know how heart-wrenching that sound is. :(

3. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

we have summer infant top of the stairs gateand they work great. we don't have them mounted into the walls or stairs of our weird configuration. not sure which ones you have, but they do make them in different sizes for different ages.

4. rebekahj

rebekahj Well-Known Member

We have the Kidco Angle Mount gate -- which is specifically designed to work with a banister and at an odd angle. Very sturdy gate!

5. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

We had these at the bottom of our stairs. It's attached to banisters on each side. We also had it at the bottom of the basement stairs where there was no room for a gate to swing anywhere.

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=5916&parentCategoryId=85183&categoryId=85217