Need Double Stroller Advice

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kdelenba, Dec 30, 2010.

1. kdelenba

kdelenba Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to the twinstuff website, but am finding it to be a great resource! I'm 32 weeks pregnant with b/g twins and need to make a decision on a double stroller. We were given a Graco Double stroller (can't remember model) and I think it'll work great when the twins are older (6+ months) for quick trips around the neighborhood, etc. BUT, I know I have to have a c-section (previous surgeries and c-section weakened my uterus) AND I have a 2.5-year-old DS, so I'll initially need something light and easy to move with one hand (while I have the death grip on my busy-body son). I've heard good reviews on the double snap n go, but I'm wondering if I should bother....I live in Syracuse, NY and I'm scared it won't move through the snow well.

Any thoughts, advice, pros/cons would be greatly appreciated!!!

Kim

2. kumphort

kumphort Well-Known Member

While, I am not sure how well it will go through the snow, I dont think any non-jogger type of stroller will go through the snow well, and the advantage to the snap n go is that you can just keep them in the car seats, I don't know of any jogger stroller that will take two car seats.

3. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

The Snap and Go will not go through snow and cannot be steered one-handed. I know there are lots of people that like it but I hated mine. I always had to use a leash (cute little doggy backpack as far as DS is concerned, lol) when I used it with my son as I couldn't hold onto him and steer the stroller. There are a few more doubles available that can take 2 infant seats now (the selection was very slim even just a year ago and very expensive). Baby Trend has a jogger that can take two infant seats...something like that might be worth looking into.

4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have a graco quattro duo and it doesn't work that hot in the snow either. It's manageable if everything is shoveled well, but you definitely need two hands to steer. If you're planning on getting outside a lot in the snow I'd look for something with bigger jogger type wheels.

5. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I had the Duo glidder, Graco, when the twins were newborn, I was living in MOntreal at the time, they prob get the same amount of snow as you do, and I HATED it in the snow. It would constantly slide sideways and it would take all my stength from keeping it falling off the sidewalk. When I moved to Toronto, I got a snap and go and I loved it. It was just way easier to plop the boys into it, I used a harness for my oldest who was 2 at the time. It prob wouldnt go very well in the snow however. Toronto doenst really get much so it wasnt an issue for me. Being that you are 32 weeks though, you have at least a month more to go, or maybe ever 6 weeks. The worst of Winter will be over by then, and you may not want to be doing long walks, outings for the first few weeks while you are healing, and getting used to having 2 newborns and a raumbunctius toddler around. So it would put you around the end of Feb before you would really be using it. Winter would almost be done, although I know March can be a killer month.

6. Have you tried to find a double snap and go secondhand? Ive seen them on craigs in my area for as low as $40. I'm hoping to snag one soon. Since its not a huge investment, if if works...great. If not..oh well. I'll resell it.

7. MrsBirch

MrsBirch Well-Known Member

We used the Double Snap and Go up until last week (used it for 9 months) In the beginning I loved it, but once the kids hit about 15 lbs each I began to hate it...you feel like you are pushing a bus, and you definately CANNOT push it with one hand. I can't comment on the snow though, sorry

8. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had it(bought and eventually sold it on Craigslist for the same amount I paid for it!) and we do get snow in Denver.

You can't push the SNG 1 handed. It will slide in snow. Instead of a SNG, what about using a baby carrier for one of the babies, the other in an infant seat attachment and your son in the big kid part of the stroller? Then, when warmer weather prevails he can walk and you can either use a single stroller (same concept) or bring the double just in case?

My current stroller has an attachment that allows an infant seat as one of the options. http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=kolcraft+contours&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=226762480642081426&ei=GTQjTaDULYOSnweA1qySDg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=6&ved=0CEwQ8gIwBQ# The pluses are that it is easier to steer in snow and it does have a little handle for your big kid when you do try to get him to walk with the stroller.

A jogger may have the best steering, though.

9. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

I really love my double snap n go, but now that the girls are bigger, it is becoming more difficult to steer. Plus their legs are long enough that the one in back kicks the one in front.

If you have yet to buy seats, maybe this would be a good choice: http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/strollers/cortina-together/cortina-together-cubes.aspx It holds two infant seats and can be used later as well.

10. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I don't think anything really works in the snow except a jogger, but based on my limited experience at that stage, the SNG is probably better than a standard side-by-side. I didn't like our standard SBS much at all, and it was utterly hopeless in the snow or slush. It also couldn't be steered one-handed (not even as well as the SNG).

The best bet (though of course also the most expensive) would be to get a double jogger that can take infant carriers.