need advice regarding moving...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by newtothis, Mar 27, 2012.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

for about a year we will be moving into my mothers to help her.
    long story short.....

there are two large bedrooms upstairs in her house. one for DH an i and the other for the kids.
    should i keep their toys in their room or my room? their room right now just has their cribs but I'm concerned if i put their toys in their room, when bedtime comes, they will think its playtime. we don't have an issue keeping them in their beds so maybe this is just me worrying.

looking for advice... :grouphug:

2. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

How about some in both? Ours have a few toys in their room and at bedtime, they play for a few mins with cars in their cribs, then go to sleep. You might see some initial issues but I think they will go away as the newness wears off.

3. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Tough one... we don't have toys in their room still and probably won't for a while. Any way to just have a corner dedicated to toys in the living room or something?

4. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Not the same situation but I made their playroom into another bedroom when they turned 4. I split up their toys so they each had some. I too had the same worries and there has never been a night that they got out of bed to play. Once they go to bed, they stay there.

At least for me, the one good thing is that if they wake before me, they can at least play in their rooms.

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

My kids have always had toys in their room and it was never a problem. They were in cribs till just past age 3, and by the time we switched to beds they were just used to staying in bed at bedtime.

Plus, it was helpful to have toys in there during the long, painful period when we insisted that "bedtime" was 8:00 (because DH and I needed some time to ourselves) but they were still napping at daycare and weren't actually sleepy till 9:00 or later. We'd let them play with toys until lights-out time as long as they stayed in the room. :ibiggrin:

It's also nice for kids to have something to do when they wake up earlier -- it makes it easier to train them to stay in the room and wait for the parents to wake up.

6. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Ours have a toybox filled with stuffed animals and some cars in their room. They do a pretty good job of not playing with them at bedtime and definitely do play with them in the AM if they wake before we do. I still do not trust them with books, puzzles, trains, etc in their room because my son gets a little destructive when he's excited. Maybe you can let them have most of their toys in their room but anything that needs supervision would go in your room or as a pp stated in a corner of the living room.

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Yeah mine only have stuffed animals, but it's plenty to keep them occupied in the morning.