Need advice on what I should be feeding 8mth twins

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by JLF518, May 10, 2009.

1. JLF518

JLF518 Well-Known Member

Okay my twins are 8 months old and I'm so confused on what & when they should be eating certain things. I read that at this age they should still be getting 24 to 32 ounces of formula but I'm confused as to how much solid foods they should eat a day, how often, etc. Any advice or any sample feeding plans on what you give your twins would be greatly appreciated!

2. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

At 8 months my boys were eating 3 meals a day. I think we started with Baby Mum Mums and Puffs then too (but that was more toward the end of the 8 months). My boys were not big formula drinkers (my goal was 20oz a day) so my schedule looked something like this:

6am: 4oz bottle
    8am: oatmeal (added a fruit around 9 months) I'd try and get them to drink more here too.
    10am: 4oz
    12pm veggie and 4oz bottle (but they usually only drank 2)
    3pm:bottle
    5pm:veggie and fruit (added meat around 9 months)
    6:30:bottle (4oz) before bed

They always split about 1.5 Gerber sized containers of veggie and fruit, but I made my own so it's hard to tell exactly how much it was.

3. hsuter

hsuter Well-Known Member

My twins will be 8 months Wednesday-with ds formula intake goal is 24oz, but he often only makes it to about 20oz; with dd her formula intake goal is 16oz (reflux/feeding issues) which she does generally meet. We do 2 solid meals a day and 3 on days when I can (weekends for sure). We have introduced finger foods like baby mum mums, puffs, wagon wheels, and crunchies. In a couple of weeks I would like to try to introduce actual foods as finger foods-diced pears/peaches, peas, carrots, and shredded cheese. Here is sort of an example of our feeding schedule-

7-8: J=5-7oz bottle, M=4oz bottle
    1hr later-fruit
    1:30-2: J=5-7oz bottle, M=4oz bottle
    1/2hr-1hr later veggie
    4:30-5: J=5oz bottle, M=4oz bottle
    6: we offer finger foods first and then meat and sometimes dessert
    9:30-10:dream feed J=5-7oz bottle M=4-6oz bottle

They do go for a long stretch in the late morning/early afternoon because I work for 2hrs and dh takes them to the park or shopping or whatever (work for both of us is 1/2hr away so its not worth if for dh to come home)-if they get hungry he obviously feeds them but they are generally uninterested as there is too much to do/see so I feed them right when I get home. In June this will change and they wont go that long stretch and we will drop the dreamfeed then.

4. jen8675309

jen8675309 Well-Known Member

My girls are only 6.5 months old, but there schedule is similar to pp posts:

8:00- 7-8 oz bottle
    9:00- fruit and cereal (they share about 5 oz)
    12:00- 7-8 oz bottle
    1:00- fruit and veggie (they share about 6 oz)
    4:00- 7-8 oz bottle
    5:30- meat, veggie, sometimes fruit too (they share about 6-7 oz)
    7:30- 7-8 oz bottle before bed

They are very big eaters! I plan to start finger foods in about another month.

5. JLF518

JLF518 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mommymeg @ May 10 2009, 09:23 AM) [snapback]1307647[/snapback]
    At 8 months my boys were eating 3 meals a day. I think we started with Baby Mum Mums and Puffs then too (but that was more toward the end of the 8 months). My boys were not big formula drinkers (my goal was 20oz a day) so my schedule looked something like this:

6am: 4oz bottle
    8am: oatmeal (added a fruit around 9 months) I'd try and get them to drink more here too.
    10am: 4oz
    12pm veggie and 4oz bottle (but they usually only drank 2)
    3pm:bottle
    5pm:veggie and fruit (added meat around 9 months)
    6:30:bottle (4oz) before bed

They always split about 1.5 Gerber sized containers of veggie and fruit, but I made my own so it's hard to tell exactly how much it was.

Okay this may seem like a very stupid question but my twins to not have any teeth yet...is it still okay to start finger foods? I've read different things saying you shouldn't give them finger foods until they have a couple of teeth but I know that wouldn't really make a difference.

6. hsuter

hsuter Well-Known Member

my LO's had baby mum mums before they got teeth. And some babies dont get a tooth until closer to 11 months, they just gum it.

7. chrystalvaughn

chrystalvaughn Well-Known Member

My babies don't have any teeth yet and just started eating table foods. All of it pretty much. Mac n cheese, even pizza. Of course I make the pieces really small. They do great.

8. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

Check out WWW.Wholesomebabyfood.com

It was a great resource for us!

Good luck, and enjoy!!

9. Natalochka

Natalochka Well-Known Member

My girls do not have teeth yet either, and they do really well with finger food. We try for 24 oz of formula a day, and started a third meal about 2 weeks ago. Here is what our day looks like now:

7 -7oz bottle
    8 - breakfast
    9:30-nap
    11 - 5 oz bottle
    12 - lunch
    1:30 - nap
    3 - 5 oz bottle
    5 - dinner
    6:15 - 7oz bottle
    7 - bed

They get purees and finger foods at each meal. Its hard for me to say how much b/c I make my own food. But they love toast with butter, whole wheat pasta w/ parmesan, tofu, beans, fish, banana, avacado, steamed broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc. GL!