Need advice on putting twins back together in same room

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by BoysInTheHouse, Jan 18, 2007.

1. BoysInTheHouse

BoysInTheHouse Well-Known Member

We separated our twins a few months back because they were waking each other up and we just couldn't handle both of them waking at the same time and waking our oldest DS. But we've been working on the sleep training (some CIO) and (after much struggle with illnesses and separation anxiety), they're waking in the middle of the night less often. The one that's in his own room can now go down at bedtime pretty easily with less than 5 minutes of crying. But, the one that sleeps in his crib in our room --Michael-- is more variable (often with bouts of crying) and needs to see Mom next to his bed while he tries to sleep. So, my questions are:

1. When do you think we can put them back together in the same room? Do I have to get Michael to be able to go to sleep after I leave the room with no crying?

2. What tips do you have when we do put them back together? Put them both down at same time or put Michael down first (which would be hard because he usually sleeps after Peter)? How do you handle night wakings?

DH and I would love to have our own room back. Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. BoysInTheHouse

We separated our twins a few months back because they were waking each other up and we just couldn't handle both of them waking at the same time and waking our oldest DS. But we've been working on the sleep training (some CIO) and (after much struggle with illnesses and separation anxiety), they're waking in the middle of the night less often. The one that's in his own room can now go down at bedtime pretty easily with less than 5 minutes of crying. But, the one that sleeps in his crib in our room --Michael-- is more variable (often with bouts of crying) and needs to see Mom next to his bed while he tries to sleep. So, my questions are:

1. When do you think we can put them back together in the same room? Do I have to get Michael to be able to go to sleep after I leave the room with no crying?

2. What tips do you have when we do put them back together? Put them both down at same time or put Michael down first (which would be hard because he usually sleeps after Peter)? How do you handle night wakings?

DH and I would love to have our own room back. Any advice would be much appreciated!

3. Overjoyed

Overjoyed Member

I just thought about the same thing today, and am certainly looking forward to the replies. We separated our twins at 5 mos., and we'd love to get them to sleep in one room together again.

Thanks for bringing this up!

4. suzq1675

suzq1675 Active Member

We have the same issue, our one is sleeping through the night, the other one about five hours, she sleeps in our room in the cradle, I would love to get them in the same room. Just how is the question??? Do I need to wait until Jenna is sleeping through the entire night, Help!!!

5. BoysInTheHouse

Seems like there are probably more of us thinking of putting our twins back together than those who have been successful doing it. Hasn't anyone tried? What seemed to work and what didn't? Any thoughts for those of us about to attempt this would be great.
    TIA

6. Carpathia

Carpathia Well-Known Member

Hi all, When my twin were 6 months old I thought about separating them. I just happened to be at the peds so I asked him his advice (he's an old guy and has seen a lot of patients in his time). He told me not to separate them because they wouldn't get used to eachothers cries so when I put them back together I'll be back where I started. So we sucked it up and left them together and now they really don't wake eachother up. If we leave one crying, the other sleeps right through.

So I guess if you want to put them back together, you should expect them to bother eachother for a while but slowly they won't anymore. It is just a pain to have to deal with it when you have two babies that sleep erratically (like ours). But it works!

Hope that helps!
    Mona

7. doubledownmom

doubledownmom Well-Known Member

Like the PP, we thought about separating our girls (who are 6 1/2 months now) one in the nursery and the other in our room, but our pedi advised us against it. He said that they needed to learn to sleep through each other's crying and that if they had to share a room to not separate them. We do not have a big enough house for them to have their own rooms, so we kept them together. After some nights and naptimes of them waking each other, they really can sleep through each other's crying fits. It's amazing.

I would just put them back in the same room and expect the worst for a week or so, but let them CIO and they will adapt.