Need a recipe for homemade protein snack bar

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by [email protected], Aug 12, 2011.

1. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I like to give my girls a South Beach or Special K protein bar for snack time occasionally and I like that the protein keeps them full between meals. I hate that they have corn syrup and a hundred other ingredients that I can't pronounce, so I want to make my own. Does anyone have a good snack bar recipe that has protein from soy or peanut butter without tons of sugar?

2. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Well, peanut butter in and of itself has a lot of sugar; most "snack" or "energy" bars tend to get most of their "energy" from sugar. It is a ready source of glucose that can give you a boost, so it does work! ;)

My guys really like THESE granola bars. I use snipped prunes and Craisins instead of raisins, and flax seed meal instead of wheat germ. You could probably add crushed peanuts or experiment with 1/4 cup of peanut butter in the mix to give them extra protein. :good:

3. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

We don't make our own because we have limited time, but we eat the Kashi granola bars and they are loaded with nothing but good stuff and a nice amount of protein.

4. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

check this website - she has lots of healthy - easy recipies for kids

http://weelicious.com/2010/03/17/chewy-granola-balls/

5. carlylafont

carlylafont Well-Known Member

Have you tried the LARA Bars? They are good and only have natural stuff in it. My favorite one only lists Dates, peanuts and salt. So going on that you could use those to make your own and it is probablly cheaper. I just started using the z bars honey graham bars for my girls- but it still has rice syrup in it.... They are called "a special snack" though.. like when I need them to be awake a bit longer (as in this morning to finish up in costco) so I use the sugar to work for me instead of against me!