Nebulizer Question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by TFine, Mar 28, 2008.

1. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

So we started DS's asthmas treatments tonight. It was a disaster. he screamed and screamed and fought me the whole time.

Any tips?

2. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

We only had to do it for a little bit, and the only thing we could do was to hold her, and put on her favorite show on the TV. Not that I'm a big fan of TV time, but it was the only thing we could find that would get her to sit still long enough.

3. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

mine are younger, but we've done two things that worked. 1. swaddle them tight. 2. use the pacifier attachment. I can't really swaddle DS anymore to do it and the paci attachment works most of the time. The mask is terrible and I can't get them to sit still. My gf who has a son with asthma swears by the paci thing so I went out and found it.

GL

4. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

we started with Jake when he was 6 months old and we found the car seat (his bucket) worked well and he would take his bottle.

Recently we moved to the high chair and he gets his treatment at the end of dinner (w/a cookie).

We really haven't had any problems....but we've been lucky.

5. Jayn

Jayn Well-Known Member

My older sons used the nebulizer quite a bit. We always have done it when they are asleep and just hold it right in front of their face. Albuterol always made my sons hyperactive, so it was a big plus for me to do it after they were already out for the night for that reason also :)

6. angeez78@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

My DS had to use one for a short time. We would sing, look at books, give him his favorite toy. Anything to keep him distracted. It got better after just a few treatments.

Good luck!

7. HT

HT Well-Known Member

We never used the mask either, our ped just told us to hold it in front of their front. I've done the nebulizer with all 3 of my kids for RSV. I just held them on my lap, it must have made them feel better because it didn't take long before they were putting their mouth on the tube.

8. JenClark74

JenClark74 Active Member

We have one for DS - got it when he had bilateral pneumonia at 9 months, and now he has asthma. When he was little, he would NOT let us put the mask on his face. I would put him in the high chair, hold the wand in front of his face, and put the fishy mask on MY face, which made him laugh and forget about the wand/treatment. That worked for a long time; then he got older and now he lets me put the mask on his face...he just turned 3.