Nebulizer question

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MerMommy, Nov 11, 2007.

1. MerMommy

MerMommy Well-Known Member

The boys now have a nebulizer and flovent inhalers. I know to use the nebulizer if they are wheezing and we were told to use it now that they have really bad, long-lating coughs - but at what point do you start using yours??? Do you wait for wheezing? How much do they have you use (albuterol to saline).

2. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

we always get our albuterol pre mixed so there is no mixing.....

I usually start using the treatment as soon as they are coughing quite a bit.... or i hear any wheezing..

good luck

3. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

I do it when the coughing is just out of control (or there is wheezing involved).

4. Babytimes2

Babytimes2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twoin2005 @ Nov 11 2007, 01:41 PM) [snapback]490959[/snapback]
    I do it when the coughing is just out of control (or there is wheezing involved).

Ditto what Kate said. Our meds also came premixed.

5. i4get

i4get Well-Known Member

I do it at the first sign of coughing because I know Jonah's cough will go straight to his chest. Per his pulmonogolist, I also up his flovent from two puffs a day to two puffs twice a day. Our albuterol is also premixed so that I just open the vial and pour it into his neb. Did your ped (or your pulmonologist) give you a "well plan" and "sick plan"? Ours did and it is extremely helpful. One set of instructions is for every day. The other is to be used at the 1ST sign of a cold. I wouldn't wait too long because you don't want them to get to the point of wheezing if you can help it. Especially if they are like Jonah and you know that's what's going to happen every single cold. HTH!

Shannon

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

I always started Hannah on the neb when she first started coughing/wheezing. I found it helped a lot to begin right away, rather than wait until the cough got bad. Our albuterol was premixed.

7. MerMommy

MerMommy Well-Known Member

thank everyone. my pediatrician wrote a prescription for the premixed, but I had a full stick of saline and albuterol never used from the summer. I will use those up first (that said 2 ml saline to .25 ml albuterol).

I was told to do 2 puffs during the winter (so once a day), but 2 puffs 2x day when sick (so 2x daily). That's what they are getting now. the flovent and nebulizer together have really helped!

8. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twoin2005 @ Nov 11 2007, 02:41 PM) [snapback]490959[/snapback]

same here

9. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We use the neb whenver they are just coughing uncontrollable or honestly when they sound really congested even in the nose at night...the mist totally helps with that. We don't use the albuterol bc it made Mitchell crazy and he got a rash on his face everytime. So we use the pre-mixed Xoponex. We also use the Xoponex inhaler & flovent inhalers at night or more often when he is sick.

10. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twoin2005 @ Nov 11 2007, 11:41 AM) [snapback]490959[/snapback]

Same for us. Oue meds are also pre-mixed.