Nat Geo Kids, Highlights or Ranger Rick

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Chillers, Dec 23, 2008.

?

Most appropriate for three kiddos age range from 3-7

1. National Geographic Kids

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Highlights

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ranger Rick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. None of the above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

Hi guys!

Popping over from 1-4 :D

My neices and nephew are 7, 5 and 3. Which subscription do you think would be the most appropriate for all of them? National Geographic Kids, Highlights or Ranger Rick? None of the above? Different suggestions?

Haven't had a chance to talk to sil and I'm obviously running out of time :blush: (been meaning to ask her and order it!)

And the 3 and 5 yo will be 4 and 6 in March.

TIA!

They did receive Highlights from their grandparents last year, but Grammy's doing something different this year and thus not renewing.

I do know that the 7 yo is a big reader. They moved to NC, so we don't get to see them a ton anymore and I know how quickly interests can change. So I wanted to pull on your expertise!

2. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I voted other; my vote would be for Highlights Hive Five.

My 6yo has gotten Highlights Hive Five for the last 2 years. It's Highlights for a younger audience than the regular magazine. She loves making the crafts and recipes, as well as the pull out game/book at the end of every issue.

3. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

I voted Ranger Rick but my boys received both Ranger Rick and Nat'l Geographic Kids at this age. We loved them both. Also SI Kids. (We did have Highlights for a year but they never really liked it much.)

4. Jocelyn5173

Jocelyn5173 Well-Known Member

I voted Highlights. Mine get the Highlights High Five and absolutely love it. I got them each their own subscription and am glad I paid the extra money. They pour over the magazines as soon as they come in the mail. They both love the hidden objects page and the funny page (can't remember the name of it). They also love the pull out games in the back.

5. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

My boys all received Big Backyard (a "younger" version of Ranger Rick) from 4-6 and then switched to Ranger Rick. They are very excited to get their issues every month.

6. Sandsam

Sandsam Well-Known Member

My four yr olds get The Big Backyard, Lady Bug and Click.

My 10 yr old gets American Girl, another girl mag, Ranger Rick, Highlights and Cricket.

Of the above, Ranger Rick and Highlights are the best in my opinion.

We were getting National Geo Kids, but it is so much advertising that I switched to Ranger Rick.

The Lady Bug, Click and Cricket were gifts. I would never subscribe with my own $$.

7. Sandsam

Sandsam Well-Known Member

My four yr olds get The Big Backyard, Lady Bug and Click.

My 10 yr old gets American Girl, another girl mag, Ranger Rick, Highlights and Cricket.

Of the above, Ranger Rick and Highlights are the best in my opinion.

We were getting National Geo Kids, but it is so much advertising that I switched to Ranger Rick.

The Lady Bug, Click and Cricket were gifts. I would never subscribe with my own $$.

8. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

I know it's too late, but wanted to say that my parents got my boys Spider Magazine (age-wise it falls between Ladybug and Cricket). We all love this magazine!! When it comes we read it cover-to-cover before bed. And it has no ads, and isn't filled with movie promos like some other kids magazines we've gotten.

9. Chillers

QUOTE(Ellen Barr @ Jan 8 2009, 01:36 PM) [snapback]1138470[/snapback]
    I know it's too late, but wanted to say that my parents got my boys Spider Magazine (age-wise it falls between Ladybug and Cricket). We all love this magazine!! When it comes we read it cover-to-cover before bed. And it has no ads, and isn't filled with movie promos like some other kids magazines we've gotten.

I didn't even know about those magazines at all, good to know!

I did end up getting two subscriptions: Nat Geo Kids and Nat Geo Little Kids. I'll have to see how the kiddos (and SIL!) like them.

10. Ellen Barr

Ellen Barr Well-Known Member

Angela, I don't know if your local library gets any of these magazines, but that's a good way to take a look at them and see if you and the kids will like them.

11. Chillers

QUOTE(Ellen Barr @ Jan 9 2009, 12:04 AM) [snapback]1139345[/snapback]
    Angela, I don't know if your local library gets any of these magazines, but that's a good way to take a look at them and see if you and the kids will like them.

Good call Ellen! I'm still trying to get into library mode, I have a bad (good :blush: ) habit of liking to keep the books I read, so often forget in a way to check it out. And, living in a small town, we sometimes have strange hours!