Napping ?....when they are tired but don't sleep

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by MrsWright, Nov 22, 2009.

1. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So my LO's go to bed early bc they take such *stellar* naps during the day <---note the sarcasm. Its fine by me...they take usually 45mins-1 hour in the morning and 45mins-1.5hours in the afternoon and just go to bed early. Its fine with me bc I like the quiet evenings as I know they won't always be this way:)

Anyways...my question...in the morning the boys act tired, rubbing eyes, laying down on a comforter that they play with, put their heads down on stuffed animals....so I get them and put them in their cribs. Well......20-45mins later they are sleeping!!!! They spend all this time jumping in their beds, laughing at each other, babbling, banging on the crib, fussing, ect ect!! til they finally fall asleep! If I keep them up then they have a meltdown when I take them in there!

What should I do????

2. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

Sorry, I have no advice, but I just wanted to tell you that you're not alone. My girls have been doing this for the past two months. The last couple of days I have been putting them down for their naps earlier than 2 hours and they seem to be falling asleep faster. The only thing is, this makes their bedtime super early (6 p.m. now instead of 7).

3. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

How soon are you putting them down after they wake up? For DD, it seems best to put her down 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 hours after waking. DS can last up to 3 hours. Mine usually fall asleep pretty easily, but DS often takes short 45 minute naps. DD usually takes 2 1.5 hour naps. Mine go to bed early too (about 6:30). They are up at 6 a.m.

4. MrsWright

They usually go down 2-2.5 hours after waking. They already go to bed at 6p-7a.

5. marijanad

marijanad Well-Known Member

Mine are 11 months corrected. I usually put them down 3 hours after their wake up and that's the only way to get them to sleep 1 hour or more. I've read that
    some babies drop the morning nap but keep a longer afternoon nap, this could be a transition period (again). I am hoping to keep mine on a longer morning nap
    and drop the afternoon eventually, so we can actually get out and about after lunch.

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

As long as they aren't really crying & screaming, I see no real problem. My two always played, jumped, talked to each other, fussed a bit before falling asleep. I think it was just their time of adjusting & winding down. :pardon:

7. MrsWright

Thats what my DH said...that maybe they are tired of "mommy time" LOL!:) They do it before their afternoon nap and bedtime too but its only 5-10 mins thats why its throwing me for a loop!