Napping at 6 months?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by erin1974, Aug 1, 2008.

1. erin1974

erin1974 Member

Up until a few days ago our B/G were taking 3 naps a day, but now it seems they only want to take 2 naps a day. The first nap is anywhere between 45 mins-1 hr, and the 2nd nap of the day is 2-2.5 hrs. They are awake for 4 hrs before bedtime. When did they decide to change from 3 naps to 2 naps and how long were those naps?

2. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

We were on two naps a day until 8.5 months or so (really recently). The naps lengths you have are exactly what mine do now.

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you want them to take a 3rd nap could you try to shorten the amount of time before the first nap? Mine wake up and have anywhere between 1.5 - 2.5 hours of awake time and then their first nap. On the days the first nap is only 1.5 hours after they wake up I can sometimes get in a 3rd nap. When I do get in a 3rd nap it is usually pretty short, but it's good in that it helps them to not be so exhausted at bed time.

4. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

we're still not on a *schedule,* and so far, the need has not arisen:). however, i have read that babies generally cut down from 3 to 2 at around 6 months. so it sounds like yours are right on time!

best of luck working things out,
    jl

5. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

We're still on the 3 nap/day schedule. They turn 7 months old on Aug. 3rd, but they were born 5 weeks early. I really don't know when to expect them to drop that 3rd nap - maybe when their 2nd nap lasts longer?

My guys definitely aren't ready to go a 4-hour stretch of awake time, yet. They'd be a disaster!! I hope you are able to get your babies on the schedule you want! :)

6. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I think mine are in transition from 3 naps a day to 2. We get 1 -2 hour nap in the morning, close to an hour in the early afternoon, and maybe 30 minutes in the late afternoon.

7. jenanne

jenanne Well-Known Member

Mine aren't quite 6 months but they wake up around 6:30, nap 8:30-9:30ish, nap 11:30-12:30ish, nap 2:30-3:30ish, go to bed around 6:30. Often the last two naps are only 40 minutes unfortunately. And I don't base nap time on the clock yet, I'm still basing naps on their sleepy signs, so they don't go down at the same time if one woke up 45 minutes before the other, for example. I am looking forward to a more structured nap routine when they will sleep TOGETHER :)

8. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

We went from 3 naps that were anywhere from 45 min to 2 hours down to two 1.5 to 2 hour naps at 9 months. At 6 months I was still trying to stick to no more than 2 hours awake at a time, my boys couldn't last much longer than that without getting crabby.

9. ladybenz

ladybenz Well-Known Member

We dropped that third nap like a bad habit at 5 months and it saved my sanity and life just became so much easier. No more bedtime fights, no more resisting naps. They nap around 9 am and around 1 pm and start bath/bed routine at 6 pm.

10. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Mine did not go to 2 naps until they were about 9 months old and then they were about 1.5 hours and 2 hours a piece and went to bed at 5:30 in the evening.