napping and a four month old

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by sistersbeall, Mar 2, 2011.

1. sistersbeall

sistersbeall Well-Known Member

SHe only naps for 20 minutes at a time!! is this normal? I just don't remember what the twins at 4 months with sleep. something tells me it was bad though. what can i do to get her to sleep longer than 20 minutes. this is driving me batty.

2. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Barring any growth spurts, teething, sickness if she is at a healthy weight I might let her fuss a little. Hannah was the opposite (still is) than my boys who would sleep anywhere, any time, and take awesome naps! I started letting her fuss around that age to get her naps longer. It worked bc now at 8 months she naps 1 hr in the morning and 2-3 in the afternoon and 12 at night:)

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Our boys napped like that for many, many months. They finally started napping longer around 7-8 months when we dropped to two naps. But even so, they still rarely take long naps. Some kids just don't nap as long. I understand your frustration because I have been dealing with it for 14 months! I tried many things - room darkening, white noise, different schedules, letting them fuss, etc., and nothing has really worked except time and maturity. Now they take one nap of about 1-1.5 hours. It's not as much as I would like, but WAY better than it used to be!

4. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

My 5 month old still takes short naps, usually 30-45 minutes. Rarely (maybe once a week) we get a nap that lasts longer than an hour. Nothing I've tried has worked, so I think I'll just have to wait until she matures. My DS was the same way as a baby.

5. mommaoffour_ohmy

mommaoffour_ohmy Well-Known Member

Well glad to hear its not just us... we are having the same issue.