Nap Question(S)!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by KimsTwins, Mar 20, 2008.

1. KimsTwins

KimsTwins Well-Known Member

My 2 1/2 month olds are sleeping great at night, going down between 6:30 and 7:30, waking up once, and sleeping again until aroung 6:30 to 7 in the morning. While I am at work, they stay at home with my roommate (she is a stay at home mom to her own son). I want to get my kids on a nap schedule, but not sure how to go about it. She tells me that they go down at around anywhere between 10 and 12 and sleep for 3-4 hours, but than they are up the rest of the afternoon until I get home at about 6. By the time I get there, they are pretty cranky! So my question to you all is, when they go down for their morning nap, should she wake them after a couple of hours and try to put them down for another nap in the afternoon? Or should she just let them sleep and put them to their nap a little later in the day?

TIA.

Kimberly

2. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

I think 3-4 is too much after sleeping for 10-12. I say two hour nap in the morning, two hour nap in the afternoon. But that is just my opinion

3. Beb

Beb Well-Known Member

Hi,

I really recommend the book Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth. You may notice many moms referring it here as HSHHC. It is excellent! It will help you establish a great routine!

HTH!

4. 2Xthelove

2Xthelove Well-Known Member

I also think 3-4 hours is way too much for a nap. your the mom if you want 2 naps a day then yes one in the morning and one in the afternoon. mine went down for am nap and afternoon nap. maybe she is just real good at wearing them out wanna send her over here when your done with her for our bedtime ritual she can wear mine out :laughing:

5. KimsTwins

KimsTwins Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for your responses. I have one more question... If she wakes them up after two hours for naps and gets them into that routine, is that going to affect them at night? Or will they continue to sleep like they do?

6. allboys

allboys Well-Known Member

Seems to me that at 1-2 months, they should be taking at least 3-4 naps a day.

7. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(allboys @ Mar 22 2008, 01:34 AM) [snapback]681634[/snapback]
    Seems to me that at 1-2 months, they should be taking at least 3-4 naps a day.

That is exactly what mine were doing..probably closer to 4 with no schedule except a feeding one for the most part. IMO they need more than one nap a day. They are probably doing 3-4 hours because they are exhausted from being up all afternoon and not catching up at night.

Sleep begets sleep. So if they are getting the sleep they need during the day, then they SHOULD sleep at night since they seem to know how to STTN.