My toddler asking questions...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mrsfussypants, Jan 17, 2007.

1. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

I'm hoping you'll be able to help me out with this puzzling new thing my almost 2 year old is doing. He'll ask a question (one he already knows the answer to) like, "what's this?" while holding an object like a train, or a banana, or anything else he's familiar with and then wait for me to respond. The first time I say, "a train" he will pause for maybe 2 seconds before immediately asking again, "what's this?" while holding the same thing. I swear to you he will ask me 25 times in a row if I let him! I start out calm, and answer a few times. Then I try to say things like, "what do YOU think it is?" or just ignore him....but it has gone from slightly charming to super-annoying! Why does he ask me the same things a million times, and how should I respond?? I don't want to just ignore him, or get mad, but seriously--this is annoying!

BTW--I love this board. I've been hanging out in the Expecting forum, but it's nice to talk about the kids we already have too! thanks.

Reyna

2. mrsfussypants

I'm hoping you'll be able to help me out with this puzzling new thing my almost 2 year old is doing. He'll ask a question (one he already knows the answer to) like, "what's this?" while holding an object like a train, or a banana, or anything else he's familiar with and then wait for me to respond. The first time I say, "a train" he will pause for maybe 2 seconds before immediately asking again, "what's this?" while holding the same thing. I swear to you he will ask me 25 times in a row if I let him! I start out calm, and answer a few times. Then I try to say things like, "what do YOU think it is?" or just ignore him....but it has gone from slightly charming to super-annoying! Why does he ask me the same things a million times, and how should I respond?? I don't want to just ignore him, or get mad, but seriously--this is annoying!

BTW--I love this board. I've been hanging out in the Expecting forum, but it's nice to talk about the kids we already have too! thanks.

Reyna

3. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

Yeah that is definatly annoying. No advice though, my 3 yo still does this every day, except now he has developed an attitude to go along with it [​IMG]

4. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] Oh the joys of toddlerhood! My almost 3 yr old does this too! And it drives me BONKERS!! [​IMG] Sometimes you just have to stop answering and ignore them...and they eventually go and find something else to play with. [​IMG]

5. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

YES!! I mentioned this recently in the thread titled something like, "Words you wished you never taught them." And mine was "WHAT'S THIS???!!" They both do it! So annoying...

Welcome to TS, Reyna! [​IMG]

6. cwinslow7

cwinslow7 Well-Known Member

After the first 500 times or so I tell him I don't remember

7. jwozy

jwozy Well-Known Member

Both of mine also do the same thing. They will go on and on. I've started to turn it around and say you know what it is, and then sometimes they'll give me the answer. Yes the fun of having toddlers [​IMG]

8. mrsfussypants

SO glad it's not just my weird kid! I feel much much better. I might be able to laugh about it again. Thanks for the perspective!!

Reyna

9. Monika

Monika Well-Known Member

quote:
    I might be able to laugh about it again.

You need to! It's a toddler thing! [​IMG]

10. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

If it is something I know they know what it is then I answer with "you tell me!".

11. Renald99

Renald99 Well-Known Member

quote:
    After the first 500 times or so I tell him I don't remember

[​IMG]

12. Laura56

Laura56 Well-Known Member

quote:
    If it is something I know they know what it is then I answer with "you tell me!".

I do the same thing! But then they are asking me the same question over and over and I keep answering with you tell me! And they tell me and then ask again! I always feel like I'm stuck in deja vu!

13. MellysLittleBoos

MellysLittleBoos Well-Known Member

My 5 year old still does this. She also rewords her questions so she can keep asking!

My 3 year olds do it too.

14. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Naomi and Luke love to do this too, they often ask "What colour?" as well. Sometimes I turn it around and ask them and sometimes I give the answer. If I answer them they will reply with "Yes. That's right! Well done Zoë!" [​IMG]

I think the reason they ask is simply because they are always being asked. Learned behaviour.

15. ~*CHELS*~

~*CHELS*~ Well-Known Member

my 2 year old is the same. she will say "whats that" and you answer here and she says "HUH?" so I correct her and tell her is "pardon" then she continues "PARDON" "PARDON" "PARDON" could drive a person crazy! or if I ask her something she says "HUH" PARDON... I just stop repeating the ? after a while then she goes away and bugs someone else!!

16. abbymarie

abbymarie Well-Known Member

Here's something to think on. My girls ask questions when they want me to ask them that questions. For example: They will ask me "What color is this?" because they want me to ask them "what color is this?" so they can tell me. So often, when they ask me something, I will just repeat what they say. You might try it. [​IMG]

17. renandmariesmom

renandmariesmom Well-Known Member

quote:
    Originally posted by Twin nanny:
    I think the reason they ask is simply because they are always being asked. Learned behaviour.

My vote is this! How many times in their short lives have YOU asked them 'What's this?'. They're just returning the favor. [​IMG]

Seriously, they're processing language and how you react to them and control over their environment. It's a good problem to have!

18. crazybabies

crazybabies Well-Known Member

My 2 1/2 year old twins do the same thing...... I answer once and then ask them to tell me what it is, or "I don't know, you tell me" Sometimes it works. I was watching TV with my daughter and decided she will probably talk as much as my 8 year old son. Does nayone know if they make that privacy glass like limos have for Suburbans!!??

19. Sweetbabylovex2

Sweetbabylovex2 Active Member

Mine as well do the same thing and it can get pretty annoying!! But I'll tell them what it is the first time, and then the second time I'll say "You know what that is". [​IMG] Then they'll say "Yeah" and then they'll tell me what their holding.

I don't know why they do it maybe to see if we're paying attention or not. [​IMG]

Susan

20. JeninSF

JeninSF Well-Known Member

I think it is their way of engageing us in conversation. My daughter will sometimes now say to me "mama, say whats this sofia" She just wants to talk or tell me something she knows.

21. HeyThere

HeyThere Well-Known Member

We have a rule, you ask once. If you get an answer, then thats it. If you keep asking, you go to your room and ask the wall. The same thong with telling people things, like "look at this" or whatever! I have too many kids to let them all ask 5000 silly repeated questions a day!