My son is obsessed with a kid in his class

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by marchtwins, Apr 22, 2012.

1. marchtwins

marchtwins Well-Known Member

Hi all,

My son has a bit of an obsessive personality to begin with and tends to completely fixate on things, but lately it's becoming a problem for him at school as he's singled-out a little girl in his class. He's completely distracted by her and follows her lead on everything (often negative, distracting behaviors). He talks only of her/wants to play with her and hasn't made any other friends at school this year. His teacher has said they will be separated into different classes next year which should help, but I was wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences? Is this something he may grow out of?

Should I talk with him about this? If so, what is the best way for me to approach the subject?

Anyone been through this?
    Thanks in advance.

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My son attached himself onto a girl in his classroom, and even had a playdate with her (and her twin brother at our house). He's not so 'attached' anymore. He still interacts with her, but every time we've approached him about who he wants to invite over for a playdate, it is always different. I would say just give it time. :hug: It's hard though. Do you know any of the kids in his classroom? Moms of kids?

eta: Obviously he feels safe with her. My son is 6, so perhaps a little different story.

1 person likes this.
  3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Ava and Addison are separated in pre k. This is the first time they have ever been separated. Ava Grace plays with no one. Addison has attached herself to a little girl in her class. I think this little girl fills the void she feels without Ava. Together my two are completely not shy at all. Apart they are lost. I would also give it some time, it is almost the end of the year now. Good Luck!!!! Sometimes I wish my kids had come with a troubleshooting guide!!