My son is NOT chewing or swallowig his food!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Sullyirishtwins, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

Ladies,

Can someone tell me what's going on here at 22 months? I know he's going through teething with his 2 corner tooth (top/bottom) that is coming out. He has not been eating very well lately. Apparently he has lost weight from 24 to 18 months in shorts. Lately, he has been leaving his food in his mouth for long period of time (sort of sucking it) onto bananas, bread, chicken fingers, and even taters! I have been taking food out of his mouth because he is not chewing or swallowing his food.

Has anyone experienced where they just kind of leave their food in their mouth without chewing or swallowing it down?
    D, w/Rianna and Justin (22 mos)

2. melslp13

melslp13 Well-Known Member

My DD does this too, and she, too, so getting teeth in. It seems like just a phase, but if the teeth come in and they're still doing it, it can't hurt to ask the ped for advice.

3. EricaG

EricaG Well-Known Member

My boys are younger and just finally starting to get there teeth in and DS 2 has been doing this too or just spiting in out. We were at the doctors today and she said (teething like crazy and wanted to make sure it wasn't ears) just a phase because of the teeth she told me to let her know if it keeps going on. But it has been at least 3 weeks and she didn't seem to concerned.

As long as he is drinking (Milk) and having wet and dirty diapers he should be ok but you like me will have to keep an eye on it.

Good luck

Erica

4. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

I thought this was supposed to be something else going on? Since I know teething tend to have a bit cut down on food while he has never had an issue with chewing/swallowing situation. So, this is all new to me and will be contacting the pedi tomorrow for a word of advice.

He only has 4 2nd molars left to go.......I just think something else is going on with the suddenly he stop chewing/swallowing his food. He even just suck on the fig cookies! He doesn't bite, chew, or swallow it down. Ugh!

Thanks,
    D, w/Rianna and Justin (22 mos)