My sensitive child

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by rhc0607, Sep 8, 2010.

1. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

Reece is my sensitive child and anytime Spencer touches him wrong, he falls wrong, or just doesn't like what's going on he has a full out tantrum. Crying, screaming, not taking time to breathe...the works! I try to tell him everything is ok and that he is fine, but he doesn't stop until I pick him up. My question to those that have experience this is do you coddle him and give in or do you ignore and let him work it out on his own? I feel like I am giving in to his drama mode by cuddling with him and picking him up. WWYD?

2. JoellePotter

JoellePotter Well-Known Member

Oh I can't wait to see some answers to this. Your description of Reece desrcibes Wyatt to a T. I have felt I was going to lose my mind for about the past month and I have no choice but to pick him up since we are still living out of a hotel and don't want to bother anyone else with his tantrums.

On another note, at their 1 year appointment we slightly mentioned it to the doc and he said to pick Wyatt up, tell him its ok to cry if he needs to, but not like that in front of me. Then to put him in a safe place like a pack n play, get out of his sight and let him go at it if he wants to (within reason). Like i said though, I haven't been able to do much in this dang hotel!!

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This is pretty much what we did :good: My DS was the sensitive one at the time :faint:

4. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I would be cuddling him and making sure he knows he is safe. Jacob is my sensitive one and he needs those extra hugs right now because of all of the changes he is going through. You will be able to tell when he is doing on purpose vs when he needs a hug. Right now, I think there is less of the first.

5. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Jack was my super sensitive guy for a long time and we "killed him with kindness" so to speak. My guys are really different; Nate's tantrums are more "deliberate" and he seems to benefit from alone time when he's freaking out, but Jack is just a lot more needy. His meltdowns are really pathetic, and we would just hold him as much as possible to reassure him. It could be a huge PITA sometimes (we had to learn to cook one-handed! :lol: ) but I can tell you that it's gotten *so much* better in recent months, and he's becoming a really independent little boy. :)

Use your gut, and do what you feel is right for his particular needs.

6. trudyhm@att.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I have one very sensitive DD and did/still do like Valerie and Marchl and give her a "time in". I hug her and tell her that I know she's mad/frustrated/hurt and I feel that way too sometimes, and it's okay to let it out. I initially tried putting her in another room and the tantrum simply would not stop and she would get increasingly upset. So, we took this route and I can get her through her fits pretty quickly with hugs and consoling. My other DD gets mad about stopping an activity or something like that and then throws a fit, and alone time works wonders for that (plus warning her as we get close to stopping an activity/coming inside). So for us, being mad gets them alone time and being very upset/hurt, gets a "time in".

About six months ago I started doing my "time-ins" away from the other kids and talking to them about what they could do differently when they calm down, teaching them how to avoid what made them so upset in the first place. I'm trying to teach them about the choices them make and the consequences and they're really getting it.

7. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

My DD is the sensitive one and DS is really aggressive, so I do tend to comfort her. I don't know if its right, but when she puts her two fingers in her mouth and snuggles after being upset, I can't resist.