My poor Josh, the issues continue UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Amy A, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

If you saw my previous post Josh was in the hosptial for pneumonia and bilateral ear infections. He was on IV fluids and IV abx. We got to come home today, but he still isn't drinking. He's been okay since he had IV fluids until about 11am today, but if this continues we will end up with an IV again. He also threw up his oral abx, and there aren't any other oral abx that work for this bacterial pneumonia. So we will be going into the clinic tomorrow, and hopefully we will just be able to do daily shots of Rochepin for a few days. But if he doesn't start drinking again, we will be back in the hospital anyways! I am sure it will all work out . . . but just wanted to share a few updates.

2. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

If you saw my previous post Josh was in the hosptial for pneumonia and bilateral ear infections. He was on IV fluids and IV abx. We got to come home today, but he still isn't drinking. He's been okay since he had IV fluids until about 11am today, but if this continues we will end up with an IV again. He also threw up his oral abx, and there aren't any other oral abx that work for this bacterial pneumonia. So we will be going into the clinic tomorrow, and hopefully we will just be able to do daily shots of Rochepin for a few days. But if he doesn't start drinking again, we will be back in the hospital anyways! I am sure it will all work out . . . but just wanted to share a few updates.

3. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Have you tried the pedilyte popsicles Amy? They're a hit here! You might want to give them a try! I hope he feels better soon.

4. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

I read your original post yesterday but was unable to reply b/c I can't at work. But, I'm so sorry to hear you had a hospital stay. I'm glad to hear that he is home and I pray that he gets better soon so you don't have to go back. Please keep us posted when you get some time.

5. mamaslilbears

mamaslilbears Well-Known Member

I hope he gets to feeling better and doesn't have to go back for Iv's, that is the worst! Keep us posted when you get a chance!!!

6. kaysyd

kaysyd Well-Known Member

Amy- hope your family gets back to it's routine soon! And everyone gets healthy- we were in the hospital a couple weeks ago- it's definitely no picnic. Very hard on everyone!!

7. mn_mom

mn_mom Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I hope things are better for them and you! Though it will definitely not be fun getting Rocephin shots, but if you have to go that route at least he will be getting the antibiotic in so it can start working. In my work experience, parents really like the pedialyte popsicles too.
    ~Jenny

8. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear YOUR Josh is continuing to have problems. [​IMG] Have you tried using straw cups to get him to drink? I have some of those take and toss ones that do not leak too badly. I use those only for when they are sick so they are special. They usually suck the water/juice down well

Hang in there

9. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I'm glad he's home. Hopefully he will start drinking soon. I hope he continues to improve. Hang in there.

10. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, you are all so supportive!

When Josh woke up this am, his fever was back (only 101 vs 104). We went to the clinic and got an IM shot of Rocephin. I am so thankful that's avaliable so we didn't have to go back to the hospital for an IV. It is a rough shot though, very thick and painful. His thigh is quite swollen. We will go back tomorrow and Friday for two more shots, and then we should be done hopefully. His ears were worse again this morning, after only 24 hrs of no abx. We don't know how his pneumonia is doing unless he has another chest x-ray as it can't be heard due to it's location behind his heart.

Drinking is still poor. I did pick up the pedilyte icees and just put them in the freezer, so we'll see how that goes. I got some popsicles too and lots of different drinks. Josh actually just took about 1 oz of orange juice!! YES! That bring him to a total of 3 oz so far today. Hopefully he keeps this up and we will be able to stay out of the hospital.

11. AmyS

AmyS Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say good luck Amy. It's so hard when our little ones are sick and don't understand what is going on. Hang in there!!

Amy

12. LLA

LLA Well-Known Member

I hope that he starts feeling better and that the popsicles work!

13. shanm

shanm Well-Known Member

14. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that things are going a little better. I hope he'll be fully recovered soon [​IMG]

15. yvonneinoregon

yvonneinoregon Well-Known Member

Oh Amy! Poor Josh! I am glad he is out of the hospital-that is a plus. I pray he gets drinking soon! I think the Pedialyte popsicles are a great idea!

Keep us posted! [​IMG]

16. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

We got another Rocephin shot today, his ears are still pretty red though and his pneumonia continues! Augh! Hopefully the last shot tomorrow will take care of it.

17. Shanonlee

Shanonlee Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Poor baby! I really hope he gets better soon and has no more hospital stays! [​IMG]