My mono/di girls arrived suddenly at 29 weeks!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by beckylynn, Mar 23, 2009.

1. beckylynn

beckylynn Well-Known Member

It's been a little while since i posted last but we've had a whirlwind of a pregnancy! First at 18 weeks I started bleeding so they discovered I had a previa. At our 20 week level II we found out that one baby has IUGR and only had a 50/50 shot at survival. We've been monitored bi/weekly ever since and I spent 3 weeks in the hospital as an inpatient and a week and a half afterwards on home bedrest.

Fast forward to last night! I went to the bathroom to get ready for bed and had a little bit of bright red blood. I hadn't bled since 18 weeks but I knew bleeding is a common side effect of a previa. I called my peri just to make sure it was okay and he told me that he wanted me to come im to take a look. We had to quick wrangle my mom to come over and watch our daughter but we did and we headed in. They hooked me up to the monitors and i had started bleeding again. The nurse said that she didn't think I was going to leave that night so I panicked since I hadn't packed anything to go back on hospital bedrest. The doctor came in and I was all sad and then he told us that he was actually going to deliver the babies. I couldn't believe it - that was honestly the last thing I was expecting. He said that with the previa and velamentous cord insertion he didn't want to take any chances of letting the babies go longer and have something happen. An hour later I was in the OR and then both babies were delivered.

They both cried rightaway - pretty good for 29w1d! The IUGR baby (Baby A) had apgars of 5 and 8 and Baby B had 8 and 9 so overall very good. They got them on ventilators and whisked them away to the NICU. I didn't get to see them until a couple of hours later when they wheeled my whole bed over there. My husband saw them right away and went to the NICU with them so I'm happy about that.

It's really surreal that they're here. We don't even have names yet so we're under a lot of prssure now to come up with them! It's going to be a long road but they're perfect. I'll post photos as soon as I can.

Thanks everyone! Oh, baby A was 2 lbs, 13.75" and Baby B was 2 lbs 11 oz and 14.25". They're pretty small!

2. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new girls!! :wub: :wub: I wish a quick stay in the NICU and a speedy recovery for you!! :hug: :hug:

3. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your girls!! I hope their NICU stay is short and uneventful! If you ever need support or have any questions during and after their NICU stay, please feel free to visit the NICU forum!

Welcome to the 1st year Momma!! :yahoo:

4. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

Wow, you're so calm - I'm impressed. Congratulations on your babies. I hope everything goes well for you - I wish you lots of luck. Hopefully your girls will be home soon. My Mom was born at 2 lbs more than two months early in the 1950s (so was her sister - two years later) - they're both healthy as can be!

5. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

WOW! Congratulations to you :yahoo:
    I am so glad that things went well & that you were being monitored so closely.
    I hope your little ones stay is short in the NICU :hug:
    Keep us posted on their progress & names!!! :)

6. jmantia84

jmantia84 Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Momma! Thank goodness for a concerned doc! So glad to hear that both babies were okay!

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations on your new babies! I hope their NICU stay is a speedy one! Keep us posted with how they are doing!

8. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Congratulations Momma!! :hug: I'm hoping that their NICU stay is a short one. :grouphug:

9. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations on your girls. :Clap: Please visit the NICU forum for any support you need during their stay, I hope it's short and uneventful. :hug:

10. jvanmourik

jvanmourik Well-Known Member

That had to be scary. Congrats! I'm glad everything turned out ok! Keep us updated!

11. Mommy_Nic

Mommy_Nic Member

First off, Congrats on bringing in 2 healthy babies!

While in the NICU, we met another couple that had boy/girl fraternal twins at 29 weeks. They were born exactly one month prior to our identical boys (born at 35 wk 6 days). Surprisingly, they were only a pound lighter than my boys at that time and doing awesome! Her twins weighed about 2 and a half pounds each at birth and by 35 gestational weeks, they were up to about 4 lbs 7 oz each!

Good luck and I wish you and your family only the best! ((((((((HUGS))))))))
    Hang in there! You can do it!

12. oh-baby-baby

oh-baby-baby Well-Known Member

congrats on the girls!!

13. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the birth of your girls!!

14. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

COngratulations! I hope their NICU stay is a short and uneventfull one x

15. Jenn79

Jenn79 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the birth of your babies! Can't wait to see pictures.

I can't imagine the shock when they said, "Hey, we're gonna have some babies today!" Sounds like you handled and are handling it very well. Sending prayers for a short and uneventful NICU stay.

Let's us know what you name your little ones.

Take care!!!!

16. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new baby girls!! :)

I hope their NICU stay is short and uneventful!!

17. timba09

timba09 Well-Known Member

Wow, congrats on your baby girls, mama! What a story. I'll be sending them "grow-babies-grow" vibes and I hope their NICU stay is uneventful.

18. scorpion509

scorpion509 Well-Known Member

Congratulation.
    I follow your story from the beggining and read a lot about your bedrest. and I am glad that both girls are good :) don't worry they will put the weight on :) in hte NICU
    Please post the pictures when you can :)

19. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

CONGRATS! I am sending good vibes your way for your girls a speedy NICU stay. :hug:

20. pjs

pjs Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new little ones. Hope your NICU stay is short and smooth. Just wanted to add a BTDT story - I have a niece that was born 22 years ago at about 28.5 weeks. She was 2 lbs and 1 oz at birth. She is now a beautiful, intelligent, athletic senior in college with the whole world ahead of her. I hope that gives you some comfort! Thanks so much for sharing your birth story. I hope you will continue to keep us posted. :grouphug:

21. beckylynn

beckylynn Well-Known Member

The girls are doing well. They're both still on ventilators and I'm excited for them to come off since it might be easier to get to hold them yet. I got to change their diapers and take their temps today so that was exciting for me!

Here are a couple of photos. We still don't have names yet!

Baby A
    Baby B under the bililights

Thank you everyone for your support here! This is such an amazing community and I really appreciate that I know I can come here and talk to people who have BTDT or just to get support. You guys rock!

22. happybearsfan

happybearsfan Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the birth of your sweethearts! :wub:

Prayers for a speedy and safe NICU stay. xoxoxo :hug:

23. kymbahlee

kymbahlee Well-Known Member

I haven't been on in a few weeks so I was looking for an update from you and here they are! Congratulations! You're little one was an ounce heavier than my little one. They are gorgeous. Best of luck, mine have been doing well in NICU/SCBU, hope yours do too. It has taken them 3 weeks to regain their birth weight, but they are putting on weight steadily now.

24. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new baby girls. Come visit us in the NICU forum is you need anything!!!

25. Chicklet

Chicklet Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh Look how sweet they are :wub: Congratulations!

26. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I just want to hug them! Jessy was 2lbs 13oz at 34 weeks. Sending grow baby vibes