my little 'monkeys' love bananas!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by foppa2102, Dec 10, 2009.

1. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

my girls are 18 months old and have their 18 month pedi appt tomorrow so i'll ask the doc then, but i thought i'd see what the consensus is out here. in the mornings, my girls always want a banana. but they've loved bananas, it's been their favorite fruit for several months, so i give them each half to eat, then they come back saying 'nana' and pointing to them and i give them another banana, then this happens once more. so, many mornings a week, they eat 3 full size bananas between them for breakfast! anybody else have big banana eaters? should i be worried about too much potassium? i'll ask the doc tomorrow and let you know what he says. can't wait for the weigh-in either... lol.

2. dtomecko

dtomecko Well-Known Member

I'd imagine that as long as they're getting a balance of other foods it would be ok. I think bananas are constipating, so if they're not having problems there, then it's probably fine. At this point, I'd give them whatever they'll eat because mine are so picky. And at least a banana is healthy!

3. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Mine love bananas too. I think they'd have to eat ridiculous amounts of banana to overload on potassium. Mine sometimes eat 3 between them for breakfast - and my daughter can put away two of those.

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree, as long as they are not having issues with constipation, I think they should be okay. I think it's good that they like them so much!

5. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

I have :banana: banana lovers here too!! They eat like four a day (two each) :blush: and I think as long as they aren't becoming constipated, it's okay. :good:

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

me too! my girls will only polish off 1 each but it's daily - 'ware the day we run out of bananas in our house! :escape:

7. foppa2102

foppa2102 Well-Known Member

i totally forgot to ask the pedi about this, but i agree with all of you, they're not constipated and at least it's not cookies or something unhealthy that they love so much. not that they dont love cookies.. lol.

8. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

I was wondering about this too because my boys love bananas and plantains and potassium rich foods in general.