My little Hulk loves playing Wack-A-Mommy!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by i4get, Jul 9, 2007.

1. i4get

i4get Well-Known Member

:vava: Jonah is so funny but the boy is STRONG and he currently loves to beat the crap out of any person who is holding him. In particular, he likes to smack your face with both hands, then grab you by the ears and pull you forward so he can bite down on your chin. The biting of the chin used to be cute (it was more like getting a hicky) but now that his tooth started peeking thru that also hurts.

How do you let a 9 month old know that he's hurting you? I keep finding myself saying "gentle" but that's not doing anything. He's actually hit me so hard and/or bit me so hard that I have cried out in pain. Help! :vava:

Shannon

2. DanAbimytwomiracles

DanAbimytwomiracles Well-Known Member

Say "No" in a stern voice (not yelling) then take his hand and show him "gentle" touches. then lather, rinse, repeat. At this age 2 years and for the next 1.5 hyears or so it's all about repetition.

3. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

WOW i could have written that same post.

4. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I also could have written your post and I could have written the reply too! I do the same as PP suggested, I take her hands (LAUREN is my hulk!) and say no and then pat my face softly and say "gentle". She doesn't necessarily stop altogether but she does stop and look at me, almost like she is starting to get it. They are getting more mobile and as soon as she is in arm's reach of Emma she is whacking like crazy! I feel your pain - literally!!

5. Erykah

Erykah Well-Known Member

I say no, put hime down and walk away. Then he comes right back to play and we play again until he does it. I sometimes have to do that 3 or 4 times but he has stopped being so rough!

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

I also put the hitter down and sternly say no. After a few seconds I pick him/her back up and show them how to be gentle.

7. noahandjacobsmom

noahandjacobsmom Well-Known Member

I am going through this with my Noah. He can be ROUGH!! I just hold his hands and tell him "no, not nice to hit it hurts." When he does it again (with glee in his eyes) I repeat the previous statement and then put him down until he wants to try again.

8. kristimom22

kristimom22 Well-Known Member

gage is the same way- he just started the smacking me in the face thing, but he is a major hair puller & face pincher. i've had scratches around my eyes & mouth from it. and yesterday, he bit me for the first time & he's got 5 teeth- ouch!! like all the pp's, i just try to say "no- that hurts mommy" & show him how to be gentle.

9. i4get

i4get Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies! I'll try doing as you suggested. I wasn't even thinking about him being rough with Morgan. Better nip this in the bud NOW! His favorite thing is to bring his hands up in the air and smack down on the table, himself, whatever is in front of him. He does this with his sippy cup too and I cannot believe the boy isn't black and blue. It's like he's playing and frustrated all at the same time. He gets this GRRRR sound when he does it. It would be really cute if it didn't hurt so bad. :D

10. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I say "no" and grab the hand of the hitter. I then show him how to touch gently while saying "gentle, gentle" with a big smile. If he keeps hitting then I put his hands in "time out" by holding them so he can't move them for 30 seconds. If he still wants to hit after that I put him down.

Oddly enough though Sean only hits when he's hungry. It's his own little version of sign language. Weird, huh?