my kids are food obsessed

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ruthjulia, Apr 3, 2008.

1. ruthjulia

ruthjulia Well-Known Member

lately, alisha is overly concerned with what we are going to be eating at future meals. like we'll be having lunch, and she's asking what we're going to have for snack and for dinner. i usually tell her i don't know to avoid a discussion of whether she wants what we're having or not, and she seems content with that answer. sometimes as i'm cooking she'll ask what i'm making and i'll tell her and she'll say she doesn't want that - my response is always that she doesn't have to eat anything she doesn't want to, but this is what we're having and she is expected to sit at the table with us even if she doesn't want to eat.

she eats pretty well in general, and i offer her more food if she wants it. actually, now that i think about it, she also asks during meals if there is more available if she wants it. i tell her if there is more or not, and sometimes she'll want more (like the chow fest she had on chicken last night) and sometimes she doesn't (like she asked if there is more corn at lunch today, but barely touched her food and certainly didn't ask for seconds of anything).

i guess i'm concerned because i don't want to be doing anything that will cause her to have food issues as she gets older - i know i have some bad habits/ attitudes about food and i don't want to pass those along.

should i be doing something differently?

2. rematuska

rematuska Well-Known Member

That sounds pretty typical toddler wanting to know everything in advance and have some control thing to me. As long as she is eating ok, I don't know that I would be worried.

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with Emily, that sounds pretty typical. They love to ask questions at that age & want to know everything. As long as she is eating, I wouldn't worry. :hug99:

4. ruthjulia

ruthjulia Well-Known Member

thanks - i guess she does do that about other things as well (this morning she asked me what we were going to do tomorrow - we haven't even started today yet!). maybe she's just a planner like her mommy! :)