My husband is going on a fishing trip and I will be over 32 weeks pregnant...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Chrissy2010, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Chrissy2010

Chrissy2010 Well-Known Member

What do you all think about that? He will be going for the weekend, 4-5 hours away. Who knows if there is cell service. I will be home with our 2 kids and then I will be just about 33 weeks pregnant with twins... In a way Im like, yeah go its going to be the last time for awhile. But then it worries me if something happens while he is gone, what will I do? Im measuring 37 weeks now, I get BH all the time and pressure down there. moving around is getting hard. Maybe he should go fishing closer for the day? There isnt many good lakes around here though. Should I be concerned or is it not a big deal? What would you do?

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i would definitely have a back up plan - arrange to have someone "on call" that weekend who can help out however it's needed but otherwise, if you don't mind him going, then he should go. also, as long as he understands it is a possibility you could go into labor with little to no warning & you're both okay knowing that he may miss the birth.

3. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Honestly, if it were me, I would not want my DH to go, you just never know what can happen. IMO that is too far away and especially if there is no cell service. I also know my DH would not have wanted to miss the birth.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm in this camp. I wanted my husband there if I went into labor or just plain needed everyday help (picking stuff up for me, helping me up out of chairs, at the end I could not drive, etc)...

5. ladypotter

ladypotter Well-Known Member

Same boat here..Only for the whole day instead of the weekend. My husband is going to take our older daughter to Sea World three hours away tomorrow. For the last week we discussed the fact that if I went into labor (since I am having a C Section) that he may end up missing the birth. We said he should look at his phone every hour to make sure he didn't miss any of my calls if I needed him. Originally it was going to be an overnight trip for two days, but I said no. At least this way, he gets to spend some time with our older daughter before the twins come and are taking up the majority of our time for the next few months.

6. calind115

calind115 Well-Known Member

Personally, I say go and let him relax and you do the same. I'm in a bit of the same situation, dh is gone from now until I am 37 1/2 wks so all I can really do is take it easy and pray taht they stay in while he is gone.

7. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

I was in the same boat last year. I let DH go and told him to drive seperatly from his fishing partner in case. One of my best friends is married to him so she stayed with me in case anything were to happen. Luckily it didnt but we make sure there were 3 cell phones with different service providers and if he did loose services, he did call to check in.

He did do a final tournament of the season 2 weeks after the twins were born. they were in NICU so he went and did his NICU visits that night.

Go ahead nad let him have his time. He wont have it again for some time to come!

8. doreydo

doreydo Active Member

My other half is a fishing junky. He goes for the weekend 3-4 hours away. I would want to let him, but I would feel completely abandoned if I went into labor and he wasn't able to get back in time. You figure, well after they are born he won't be able to go for a while, so you want to let him go, but..... I know this doesn't help, just know someone understands. Hopefully, it doesn't happen while he is gone and definitely have a back up plan. Good luck!! I hope they hang on!!

9. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

My husband had an out of town business trip planned during Week 32. He was trying to schedule it earlier but it wasn't working out. We had a long talk about it and how uncomfortable I'd be for him to be so far away (about 4 hours driving). I also planned to talk to a friend to see if she would be my "back-up". I guess I wasn't so worried about going into labor yet, but what if something, anything happened and I needed to go to the hospital. I don't have any other family living nearby. After a few days and another doctor's visit where they talked to us about PTL again, he decided to speak to his boss about it. He was able to get the project assigned to someone else. The timing was just too close for comfort.

10. talktomei

talktomei Well-Known Member

If it were me, I would let him go if I had someone who could take me to the hospital at a moment's notice.
    If this could not be arranged, then I would personally not feel comfortable having him be so far away and potentially without phone service.

11. mommyto3boys

mommyto3boys Well-Known Member

Is there a realtive you can invite to stay with you for the weekend? That would give you some extra help as well as a back up plan in case you needed someone to take you to the hospital. If you have a close female realtive (mom, MIL, etc), you could set it up as a girls' weekend with some last bonding before the babies arrive. Also, if your husband's cell service will be spotty, I would at least ask him to set a time to call you each day to check on you and the babes. Hopefully he would be able to find somewhere that had a decnet signal for a quick call.