My hair won't stop falling out.

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by christie76, Sep 23, 2008.

1. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

Yuck! It is every where. Is there anything you can do to stop it from falling out so much? I have to keep it in a ponytail all day long. I keep finding it on the girls. It's so gross. I'm going to be bald soon!

2. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

Have you stopped taking your prenal vitamins? I noticed that I stopped for awhile after the babies were born and my hair shedding like crazy.

3. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

I did stop taking them after I stopped nursing. I assumed that my hair was falling out because I stopped nursing and my hormones went crazy. I guess I could try taking my vitamins again. I never thought to do that. Thanks!!!

4. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

Ohhh boy do I know what you are going through!!
    I have had a ponytail for almost 9 months now :)
    When my girls were around 2 months old my hair started falling out BIG TIME...I mean A LOT, a whole lot....I couldn't understand how I even still had hair on my head after seeing all that would fall out every day?!
    It finally stopped falling out when my girls were about 6 months thankfully & now is growing back in. Guess its good time to try out having bangs?! :laughing:

5. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

totally normal. Mine did that after all my pregnancies.

Mine did that for about a year.

6. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

mine too. its nasty. my mom had 8 kids, she said it did it for awhile after each of us. im gonna be bald soon too!

7. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

I did some research on this one :) Your hair quits falling out when your body kicks in with all the pregnancy hormones. Once those start dissipating your hair starts to fall out. It won't last forever, but it sure seemed like it to me. Mine was falling out from 2.5 - 8 months pp. It's just now back to the normal amount of shedding. Between me and the dog the floor was horrible at our house.

8. mmbadger

mmbadger Well-Known Member

It's totally normal to be losing mass amounts of hair at this stage postpartum. If it doesn't ease up in a month or two, though, definitely have your thyroid checked.

9. Four_to_Six

Four_to_Six Well-Known Member

When I read the subject line, I said to myself, "I bet her babies are about four months old." I was right. ;) That's about when I start severely shedding. It usually lasts about six weeks for me. One way I "control" it is to brush my hair outside and keep it in a braid as much as possible.

10. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

That started happening with me about 3 weeks ago and it is driving me crazy because I can't stand hair on my shirt, pants, etc. My OB and hair dresser said it is totally normal and it is from the hormonal changes from pregnancy. I can't wait for it to slow down. DH jokes I could make a wig everytime I brush my hair from what falls out. Thankfully I have a lot of hair to begin with, but I keep putting it up in a clip because I don't want to deal with the hair all over me during the day. By the way I never stopped my vitamins and it still fell out.