my baby leaks out of every diaper

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by AimeeThomp, Jan 26, 2011.

1. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am so tired of cleaning the baby up and going through 5 outfits a day! My baby leaks or blows out all of his diapers. I have tried Huggies, Pampers and Fisher Price brand. I have a pack of Luvs to try next but I'm afraid it's going to be the same. At night I even put 1 size bigger on him but he still leaks through!

Anyone else have this problem and find a solution? Is it a common problem with boys? It's annoying for sure!

2. Chrijodo

Chrijodo Well-Known Member

Cloth.. We used cloth with all 4 of our kids because the leak out of every sposie on the market and the twinks are allergic to sposies

3. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

That's weird.we had some leak when my son was like 2 months. He leaked a lot. It was because I didn't tip his penis down before I taped his diaper. You might know this already.

I would check around his thighs and waist see if the diaper fits him perfectly. Is his leaked diaper very heavy? My kids diapers are always super heavy but they never leak. Did you try pamper baby dry? We like it a lot, no leak even my kids poop super lol.GL!

4. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

huggies worked well for us once I used the shaped ones - not the regular ones...

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

We had major problems with that for the first few months with both our guys. Like a pp said, make sure you are tipping his penis straight down a bit, not to the side. And make sure the elastic is out around the legs and that the diaper is pulled up as high as it will go in the back. Some diapers come up higher in the back than others. When our boys were little, the only thing they didn't wet through was Luvs or Pampers Baby Dry. I also discovered the Target brand (Up and Up) a little later on, and have had a really good experience with them - that is now my preference. You might give them a try if the Luvs don't work. I will tell you, though, that is gets better with time. We didn't have that problem anymore after the first couple of months for whatever reason.

1 person likes this.
  6. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

With all 4 boys, Luvs or Pampers Baby Dry, and yes making sure to point down is what worked the best. My baby does a lot of poo with blowout potential but the Luvs keep it contained,

7. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Point him down, go up a size and try Baby Dry or Target (both of which have a very different fit than the Huggies and Cruisers).

8. southernmommy

southernmommy Well-Known Member

I think all my kids at some point leaked out of their diapers. Most of the time the diaper just wasn't a good fit for their shape at the time. I only use the walmart or Food Lion brand diapers because they are the only ones my girls don't leak out of. With 7 kids I've tried ALL the different types of diapers but these work the best for me on a regular basis.

9. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

We tried cloth bc Ty was leaking from every single diaper we tried. However cloth did the same thing:( Finally went back to a brad we tried just as the boys were coming out of diapers. Parents Choice from walmart. They were totally redone a few years back and IMO they are the BEST diaper on the market. We took Ty up a size bc while he was in the right limit for a size 3 the 4 's fit and worked better. The diapers are pretty cheap at under 6bucks and a bag and under 14 for a box. You will never buy another diaper again!

10. Cjoy

Cjoy Well-Known Member

I have only used Luvs, Pampers & Huggies on our guys...and as long as they are pointed down, the diaper is snug up against their crotch (if it is saggy in between their legs, I have had leaks), and around their waist- we have not had any big problems.

I did invest in the Gro-Baby system, but they leaked constantly- and every diaper change ended up being a wardrobe change.

Good Luck!

11. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

is it as simple as changing the diapers more often? I know w/cloth I had to change closer to the 2 hr mark.... good luck, nothing is worse than changing outfits multiple times a day!

12. leaudemiel

leaudemiel Well-Known Member

My coworker swears that she used diaper inserts inside the disposables that soaked up more? I haven't seen these anywhere, but haven't been really looking...

Our boys pee through everything but the Pampers swaddlers right now... which don't go up another size so we shall see what happens next!

13. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree...make sure that pee-pee is pointed down and then snug the diaper on him. Maybe go up a size as well! Good luck!

14. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

I love the BRU brand but not for my newborns. I've always had blow out issues with my tiny babies, the twins being the worst. I guess I always thought it was common because I remember my nieces and nephews doing the same thing.

15. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

as for diaper inserts, not sure if they make disposable inserts...but I wonder what a woman's sanitary pad would do inside?

I definitely agree with pointing the penis down, of course those "accidents" would only be the ones with him getting wet at the waist. if its leaking other places, then that's not the issue.

16. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had not been pointing his penis in any direction so I will definitely try that. I just hadn't thought of it, it seems so small but I will definitely do that.
    I normally change him every time he eats, so that's pretty frequently.
    I am glad the next pack I have are Luvs. After that I will try the Baby Dry and Target brand and maybe even stick a maxi pad in there.

Thank you so much for all the replies!

17. JMB

JMB Active Member

The nurses at the hospital always said "hose to the toes!"

18. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Oh penis down makes huge different really. I used to forget about it, and next thing I knew everything was wet.and I always forgot to cover his pee-pee right after I took out the dirty diaper, so he actually peed on me and everywhere in our living room. One time, he even peed into his ear yes his ear. I cleaned it out but I had to take him into doc office to make sure hed not have ear infection lol.

19. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

I love Target and Sam's (members mark). They are the only diaper that my DS won't leak out of (including the more expensive Huggies and Pampers). I think the Sam's diapers are the same as Walmart's Parent's Choice:)

20. fmcquinn

fmcquinn Well-Known Member

Make sure the ruffles around the legs are out. My girls were leaking like crazy, and my SIL said to check the ruffles. It was such a little thing, I didn't think it would work, but it did!

21. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

Yes they sell these at BRU. I have never seen them anywhere else. They are awesome and cheap. Like 45 for $3.99 or something. We only used them at night when we were having soak throughs. They work really well. They are in the diaper section...hard to see...small package - you may have to ask an employee...I always had to search.

Actually, here is a link. This is a huge pack - our store sold the smaller packs. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3844600&CAWELAID=436919783

22. stephsoss

stephsoss Well-Known Member

Earth's Best diapers have never leaked for DS, while all the others did. I order them from Amazon.