My 6 YO still wears pull ups at night!

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MamaKimberlee, May 27, 2008.

1. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

When is it too old? DD still fills her pull-ups every night. Gross! (But better than changing sheets!). Is this normal? She is my uptight, OCD child.
    Is there any hope this will fix itself?

2. Jen620

Jen620 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My 5yo does too. Maybe once a month she wakes up dry. I have a friend whose daughter was well into first grade before she stopped wearing pull-ups. I figure eventually it will stop. I think there was an old thread here and there were lots of 5-6yos still in pull-ups at night. Right now I'd rather get my 3yo PTed then worry about my 5yo staying dry at night. I have to have priorities!!!

3. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

It is perfectly fine and quite normal. My 2nd son wore them until sometime in his 5th year. I also was not doing wet beds in the middle of the night.

When they sleep through wetting it, what can you really do? It is not something to worry about at all. She will be dry all night when her body is ready and not before.

4. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

Actually its pretty normal for girls up to age 8 or 9 to not be able to go dry through the night. This is according to a pediatric urologist.

Holly is still in pull ups at night. She is a weird sleeper and if I woke her during the night to go to the bathroom, she would be up for the day (even if it was midnight or 1 am). My neice's urologist told SIL and me that there are children who physically can't wake or hold it overnight until age 12 (rarer than the 8 or 9). I'll just take my time and wait and see how long it takes. I'd rather buy and change pull ups than have to change her bed every night and have her exhausted because she woke up too early or didn't get enough sleep.

5. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

I just want to ditto what everyone else has said. My son Joel is 7, almost 8, and just now this week has gone without a pullup! My twins are 5 and still use one. The pediatrician told me they really don't start to worry until 9 or 10, and won't do anything really until age 12. They have to start secreting a hormone that tells them to get up, and it is quite varied when that hormone starts to work. You child is fine, don't worry about it! :)

I refused to make night time wetting an issue. It is out of their control. I buy the generic sleep pants and I figure they will stop when their bodies tell them. It will happen.

(Even with the pullups we have accidents, like last night! <_< )

6. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

I echo everyone else.
    My nephew is 8 and is still wearing them, he sleeps like a hibernating bear. . . just CANNOT wake up to take himself at night.
    It stresses out my sister, but it's still in the "normal" realm at this point.

7. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

My oldest DD woke up dry every night before she was even potty trained at 2, but the twins especially Alicia fill up a pull up pretty much every night. DH thinks I'm being too easy on them letting them use pull ups, but I have tried not giving them anything to drink an hour before bed and waking them in the middle of the night to go and they still woke up wet most of the time. I hate changing sheets every day, so I'm okay with the pull ups for now. My nephew who is 9 still uses them. I haven't been that worried about it because it seems pretty normal and I'm sure they will eventually grow out of it.

8. mich17

mich17 Well-Known Member

I still have one in them at night.

9. Ree5264

Ree5264 Well-Known Member

My girls are about to be 5 and wet their pull up maybe 5 of 7 nights. I don't stress about it because I was 12 years old before totally quit wetting the bed, Man I bet my Mom wishes there were pull up's 25 years ago lol. It does bother me that we're the only potty trained kids we know that still wet the bed, but if twins has taught me anything it's that you can't compare.

10. MamaKimberlee

MamaKimberlee Well-Known Member

Thank you, thank you, thankyou !
    I have heard some of this before, but even though I REFUSE to make an issue about it, others want to and I say NO! she will stop when she's ready. I needed to hear that it's normal and there's hope.
    Thank you!

11. allgood2000

allgood2000 Well-Known Member

I was so glad to read these responses! My 6 yo still wets almost every night. He sleeps in Pull-ups and we have a pad over his sheet, as well, so if he leaks I just have to wash the pad and not the sheets. At his 6 year well-child visit when I brought this up the pediatrician said, "80% of boys don't wet the bed by the age of 6, but that leaves a pretty significant 20% that still do!" I thought that was reassuring to know. We'll just continue the whole pull-up thing until it's not needed anymore. My fear is that by making an issue out of it, nighttime wetting will turn into an issue! My oldest son (9), and my twins (4) haven't ever had a problem with bedwetting, and that's the hardest part for Will! I know he hates wearing pull-ups when his little brother's don't need them!

12. sharon_with_j_and_n

sharon_with_j_and_n Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for posting this. Jamie has been dry through the night since she was two years old. Nicole is still in pull-ups. They just turned 5 in May and I haven't been terribly concerned. The pedi is also not concerned. This post, however, is very reassuring and reinforces my dedication to not making it an issue. :)