Must-Have Beach Products?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by teafor2, May 11, 2010.

1. teafor2

teafor2 Well-Known Member

Hello!
    This is my first post in this forum, and I'm a little early as my LOs are only 10 months. However, this summer when they turn a year (!!!!), we are moving to a suburb by the ocean (aka the Jersey shore, please no reality tv jokes). Since we're sure to log some hours on the beach, I wondered if there are any must-haves for children this age? Has anyone tried the cabanas? Are they big enough for two kids, and will they even contain them anyway? Anything else that will help? Favorite sunblock? Shoes/sandals for early walkers? Thanks so much!
    Melissa

1 person likes this.
  2. Shohenadel

Shohenadel Well-Known Member

I'm not too sure since my girls are 15 months and this will be their first summer on the go at the beach. But my friend (who has twins) gave us their play-yard gate thing to keep them corralled. I can imagine it will come in quite handy.
    Shannon

3. carlylafont

carlylafont Well-Known Member

I like the aveeno baby sunblock because it doesn't smell and it is not all greasy. I am really picky about sunscreen I put on myself, because if it's greasy or smelly I would rather just go without. Aveeno is what I use on me too. I am not sure if this has helpped, but every morning I get out of the shower and the girls see me put on lotion, so when I put on the sunscreen "lotion", they get excited and don't fuss about it. Either they like it or seeing me do it everyday has paid off...

I haven't gotten brave enough to go to the beach by myself yet- I have a go-any-where chair from west marine and I have used that in the backyard while the girls play in a kiddie pool or just hang outside. I think I am just waiting to 1. get a better bathing suit (one that actually stays on so I can run around after the girls without Janet Jackson issues) and 2. The other gets better at walking.

4. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Your little ones probably aren't the right size for them yet, but the puddle jumper life jackets are the best! They are for 30-50 lbs. though. We just recently started using Neutrogena's drytouch sunscreen and really like it. I've seen those carts that you can get to stack all your chairs and bags on. I think I saw it on onestepahead.com.

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

One step ahead does have a lot of great beach products. I definitely recommend sunscreen, I like the spray ones better...I have had success with all the brands I've tried. Another is water shoes, beach sand gets hot that might be easier on their feet then flip flops and sandals on the sand. Hats, sunglasses (my kids hate the bright sun), swim diapers, little beach toys for them (my two loved the bucket and shovel) and baby powder to help get the sand off.
    Good luck with your move and enjoy the shore!

6. newpairofschus

newpairofschus Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend some way to transport everything thru the sand. A regular wagon w/ skinny wheels will just dig into the sand and make life miserable. Look for an all-terrain type wagon or cart that has big fat wheels. We just ordered the Radio Flyer AT wagon even tho we already have one of the Step2 wagons. The Step2 is useless at the beach.

Eve

7. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

PPs have given you great advice. I just wanted to say congratulations, and good luck on your move! I grew up spending summers on the Jersey Shore and have very fond memories. I hope you get to spend lots of quality time at the beach! :)

8. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

Congrats! That's so exciting! I LOVE spray on suncreen. We use the Neutrogena for Kids with the yellow cap and the sunblock stick for face and ears. My dad lives on the beach so we go often. I think a cabana like the one from One Step Ahead is a great idea. It's especially useful when you have babies that aren't moving too much...mine wouldn't sit in one now though. Towels, good sun coverup, fun sand toys, a wagon as previously suggested and BABY POWDER as Nancy suggested---this will become your best friend! Takes off the sand like nothing else:)! Good luck with the move!

9. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice but wanted to add my congrats and say what a great idea for a topic! We don't get to the beach as much as we would like but this helps me keep things in mind.
    We also use the Aveeno sunscreen, and I totally recommend the water shoes over sandals!
    Have fun!

10. teafor2

teafor2 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!! How do you use the baby powder to get the sand off? Just sprinkle it on and wipe? These suggestions are all so fantastic! I went to the onestepahead website and now I wish I'd known about it this past year! Turns out we had a cataloge from them sitting in our mail bin as well. Thanks!

11. KKing

KKing Well-Known Member

I take my LO's to the beach quite often, (Im in Florida about 10 min away). I LOVE Blue Lizard sunscreen!!!!! My LO"s are VERY fair and have NEVER got any sun with this sunscreen. I buy the sensitive one, theres no chemicals and only 2-3 ingredients. I did alot of research and read reviews because we go outside almost everyday. We just bring a blanket, an umbrella, snacks and digging toys/buckets and a BALL. They love it.

Good luck! Have fun!