moving them into the crib

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mamita, Apr 24, 2012.

1. mamita

mamita Well-Known Member

Ok, at 13 weeks, I finally have our twins NOT sleeping in the bed with us. They are now sleeping in their pack n play (I got the bassinet part of it put up) right next to our bed. It gives me peace of mind that they are so close to me and yet they are not in our bed. My next step is to move them into the crib. Which is like 3 whole feet away from the bed, but seems like a mile away to me! lol. What I'm wondering is what worked for everyone else. I don't know if I should go ahead and put them in the crib together, it's big enough. Or if I should go ahead and put up our other crib so that they already start sleeping in their own cribs. Right now, it just seems like a waste of space since they are so little. But I'm worried if I wait to separate them, it'll be hard on them once I DO separate them and they'll start to regress with their sleep habits. Once I get them sleeping in a crib, my goal is to put them in their bedroom, which is RIGHT next to ours. Will that be another challenge? I wanted to do that once they reached around 7-9 months, but was wondering if maybe I should wait til they are bigger, like 18 months-2 years. I would like to have the bed for me and my husband only eventually! For those of you who started out co-sleeping, what/how were your transitions into a crib and into a different bedroom?

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My twins slept in the same crib until they were about 6ish months old. Then they were just too big and spent more time kicking each other. Just one night I put them in separate cribs in the same room and never had a problem. They could still hear & see each other so it wasn't a big deal for them I guess. They slept in a pack n play in my room for a while, maybe the first couple months, then they went into their room at night. But it was only right across the hall so it wasn't far. Now with my third, he still sleeps in our room with us. We have a split bedroom house where our bedroom is on one side and the kids' rooms are on the other. I just don't want him that far away yet.

3. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

Ours shared a crib next to our bed until they were 8 weeks and then we moved Liara into their room, as she had started to STTN and they were kicking each other. We kept Sierra next to us for another few weeks as her cry was so soft. But we had no issues with separate cribs and bedrooms.. But then they spent the first 3 weeks separated at different hospitals, so I guess they kinda got used to it.