Movement and kick counts

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Mommy2PJ, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Mommy2PJ

Mommy2PJ Well-Known Member

Did your OB have you start doing kick counts on the babies after a certain point? I don't remember when they have you do it with singletons, but my DS moved soooo much I never had to count!

I am barely feeling these guys today, which of course makes me nervous because of the IUGR for baby B. But I also have an anterior placenta, so I don't know how much I should feel.

But if they do have you do kick counts, how do you know which twin you're feeling? I can tell it's one vs. the other about half the time when it's off to my side, and before one was transvers so I could tell then. But now, one is breech and one cephalic, so it's hard to tell!

*sigh* The things kids put us through!! lol

2. Mommy2PJ

Did your OB have you start doing kick counts on the babies after a certain point? I don't remember when they have you do it with singletons, but my DS moved soooo much I never had to count!

I am barely feeling these guys today, which of course makes me nervous because of the IUGR for baby B. But I also have an anterior placenta, so I don't know how much I should feel.

But if they do have you do kick counts, how do you know which twin you're feeling? I can tell it's one vs. the other about half the time when it's off to my side, and before one was transvers so I could tell then. But now, one is breech and one cephalic, so it's hard to tell!

*sigh* The things kids put us through!! lol

3. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

My doctor has never mentioned doing kick counts. I can imagine that would be really hard with twins. There could be a lot of kicks where they are kicking each other, and the with the kicks you could feel it would be hard to always know who they came from.
    Sorry I don't have any info to offer... hopefully someone will be able to post something a little more helpful!
    Helen

4. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

Sorry I don't know much about this, but I think when I've seen other posts about kick counts, the pregnancies were farter along (like 26 to 27 weeks when they started). With my last pregnancy, it did seem like the babies were harder to feel than my DD was. I'm guessing partly because my recipient had lots of fluid and wasn't always close to my tummy surface??

5. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

I've been told not to bother; you just can't tell who's who with twins. Also, I know I could feel them at 21 wks, but NOTHING like the last couple weeks. I mean, I REALLY feel them now.
    I think that's one reason why we do so many ultrasounds and NSTs with Twins to make sure there's activity etc.

6. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

Just what Sara said - it's hard to tell who's moving what with two of them in there. Especially when they are smaller and flip around so much, you may think you're feeling A when it's now baby B [​IMG]

7. Mommy2PJ

quote:
    Originally posted by Overachiever:
    I've been told not to bother; you just can't tell who's who with twins. Also, I know I could feel them at 21 wks, but NOTHING like the last couple weeks. I mean, I REALLY feel them now.
    I think that's one reason why we do so many ultrasounds and NSTs with Twins to make sure there's activity etc.

I was wondering about that too... I had NSTs with my DS all the time, and I always had to click the little button when I felt him move as part of the test. How do you do that with twins? I haven't had one yet for these guys, although I'm sure they're coming! [​IMG]

8. kimber074

kimber074 Well-Known Member

an anterior placenta definately makes it harder to feel the little kicks.

9. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

at 21 weeks - I didn't feel these babies as much as any of my singletons - it really worried me too! but like others have said -
    they spend a lot of time kicking each other! and the inside of your uterus has no feeling - so you won't feel every little thing!

10. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I never had to do kick counts, I never knew for sure which baby was which. Sometimes I would think I would only feel one baby, I would start getting nervous only to find out I was feeling both and they had changed position.