Mosquitoes!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by carlaj23, May 6, 2009.

1. carlaj23

carlaj23 Well-Known Member

My LOs are 3 months old & the mosquitoes are already out & bound to get much worse (I live in a very low lying area). Any tips on how can I keep my babies from getting bit? I'm assuming they are too young for bug sprays! It is also very warm here already, so we like to take walks in the evening (worse time for getting bit!!!).

2. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Great Question...
    we are just planning on netting for strollers etc...maybe even using pack n plays outside with a net over them. We are dealing with Black flies right now and they are horrible!!

Hoping others have some suggestions!
    reb

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would call your Ped and see what he or she suggests.

4. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

We needed something around 7 months and I found a lotion. I think it was called "Family ___". Sorry, it was a year ago! I found it at Walmart in the bug spray isle. I only used it when absolutely necessary and not on their hands or feet. I used it mainly for myself so I wouldn't transfer something with DEET onto their skin when I held them. I think netting sounds like a great solution!

5. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

Love, Love, Love skin-so-soft. That stuff works like a champ and it isn't loaded with pesticides. My kids and I are mosquitoe magnets and this is keeps them at bay and I don't worry about our skin absorbing nasty chemicals.

Edited: It's an Avon product.

6. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ang hit it.

Avon Skin so Soft. . .followed by netting and long but lightweight clothes.

7. Lynn76

Lynn76 Well-Known Member

I use Natrepel plus. I find it at Babies R Us. It is plant based and contains no deet and is gentle. You can get it in a lotion or a spray. You can find it at drugstore.com too. I use it on my ds and it works well. I like to use it on me too.

8. jamiandkyle2002

jamiandkyle2002 Well-Known Member

funny I saw a mosquito post and thought I need to read that! Then I read it and said they must live in Alabama! Then I saw it was someone from Mobile! funny!!!

QUOTE(carlaj23 @ May 6 2009, 07:09 PM) [snapback]1303522[/snapback]
    My LOs are 3 months old & the mosquitoes are already out & bound to get much worse (I live in a very low lying area). Any tips on how can I keep my babies from getting bit? I'm assuming they are too young for bug sprays! It is also very warm here already, so we like to take walks in the evening (worse time for getting bit!!!).

9. mkhvjh

mkhvjh Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips you guys!!!! I live in MI and altho we don't have the warm weather yet I was just thinking about this the other day what to use/do for the bug problem here! I'll be prepared!!!!

10. Queen of Carrots

Queen of Carrots Well-Known Member

I use this stuff and have found it fairly effective--and everything on the ingredient list is something I wouldn't mind eating, so I figured it was reasonably safe to put on their skin.

Another idea I have heard is to keep a garment saturated with bug spray and put that on them every time you go out.

11. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

There are two good infant-friendly sprays (more like "pumps") available at our health food store. One is by Burt's Bees. They aren't perfect but they help. Long sleeves are helpful too, of course.

12. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

13. erwelch

erwelch Well-Known Member

We also use the Skin So Soft and it's works great for all 3 of my kids. We also have the Mosquito Magnet in the yard but I'm not sure if that even makes a difference.

14. carlaj23

carlaj23 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the great tips and ideas! I had totally forgotten about the skin-so-soft, my mom used it on us as kids. I will check with my ped too...they go for their 4 month appt soon anyways.