mono/di twins, but I feel silly.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mooshie, Nov 25, 2006.

1. mooshie

mooshie Well-Known Member

ok, so my twins are ID boys with mono-corionic (sp?)placenta and di-amniotic sack. so I guess it's risky as compared to other types of twins. but so far there's not even the least bit of a problem. at my U/S on Wednesday (the 22nd) they were both right where they should be, and weighed within 3 grams of each other! I never really have thought that there would be a problem, and so far there's nothing to worry about at all! so I feel silly going to these peri appointments just for them to say "everything looks fine". maybe it's the way they say it? I kinda feel like they're saying, "well there's nothing wrong, so what are you doing here?" they're perfectly nice and all really, and they really do act like it's important to keep checking even if nothing ever goes wrong, which is the hope anyway. but they almost seem dissapointed that there's nothing for them to do. it just makes me feel like I shouldn't be there.

I know that TTTS can occur at any time, but with the way things have been going I kinda doubt that it'll happen. it's not like I'm hoping to have TTTS happen with them at all! I just wish I had a crystal ball that would tell me if/when there would be a problem so I wouldn't have to feel like I'm wasting any more of these ppl's time.

anyone else feel this way? *sigh* thanks for letting me vent, I just get frustrated with the drive, and the wait, and having to find a babysitter, and then I leave feeling like it was a waste of time.

Michelle

2. mooshie

ok, so my twins are ID boys with mono-corionic (sp?)placenta and di-amniotic sack. so I guess it's risky as compared to other types of twins. but so far there's not even the least bit of a problem. at my U/S on Wednesday (the 22nd) they were both right where they should be, and weighed within 3 grams of each other! I never really have thought that there would be a problem, and so far there's nothing to worry about at all! so I feel silly going to these peri appointments just for them to say "everything looks fine". maybe it's the way they say it? I kinda feel like they're saying, "well there's nothing wrong, so what are you doing here?" they're perfectly nice and all really, and they really do act like it's important to keep checking even if nothing ever goes wrong, which is the hope anyway. but they almost seem dissapointed that there's nothing for them to do. it just makes me feel like I shouldn't be there.

I know that TTTS can occur at any time, but with the way things have been going I kinda doubt that it'll happen. it's not like I'm hoping to have TTTS happen with them at all! I just wish I had a crystal ball that would tell me if/when there would be a problem so I wouldn't have to feel like I'm wasting any more of these ppl's time.

anyone else feel this way? *sigh* thanks for letting me vent, I just get frustrated with the drive, and the wait, and having to find a babysitter, and then I leave feeling like it was a waste of time.

Michelle

3. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

I know you know this at a practical level, but never feel bad about wasting their time - you're a dream patient! I know that Obs and peris do not love to have to give parents bad news; if all you're getting is good news, it's a blessing for everyone. There's more that can go wrong than just TTTS (as I unfortunately found out), so this proactive approach is the best for you and your babies. Revel in it!

4. cbrown39

cbrown39 Well-Known Member

I feel the same way when I go and see my OB. everything has been perfect so far. I drive 45 minutes to go see him and wait usally an hour to see him just so he takes 10 minutes to tell me everything looks just fine. But I would rather have someone telling everything was fine instead of worring somethng was wrong. It is worth the time and hassel for him to tell me everything is fine.

5. mooshie

quote:
    Originally posted by Overachiever:
    I know you know this at a practical level, but never feel bad about wasting their time - you're a dream patient! I know that Obs and peris do not love to have to give parents bad news; if all you're getting is good news, it's a blessing for everyone. There's more that can go wrong than just TTTS (as I unfortunately found out), so this proactive approach is the best for you and your babies. Revel in it!

thank you [​IMG] this made me feel better [​IMG]

and good luck to you! I've sorta been following your story, and I'm hoping that you all can hold on a little while longer! [​IMG]

thanks again,
    Michelle

6. Mommy2PJ

Mommy2PJ Well-Known Member

Definitely don't feel bad! I certainly understand what you're saying, but like the PP said, you're a dream patient for them to not have to tell you anything is wrong!

I'm having mono/di ID boys as well... providing that my surgery Tuesday corrects the TTTS and IUGR problems we're having. Definitely consider it a blessing, even though it feels like a waste of time! [​IMG]

7. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

my babies are in separate sacs and have 2 placentas and we still go to the peri - as a pp said other things can happen! my baby A had
    a problem at my 30 week check up that my OB did not catch - and my babies had been close in size and heartrates had been equal - things changed REAL QUICK!! So hang in there and be glad they are keeping a
    close eye on you! like a pp said you are a dream patient!! I hope things keep going so well!! [​IMG]

8. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

I understand how you feel. I'm only having one baby this time and it seems like such a waste to drive to the hospital every month, find parking, wait in the waiting room, and then have the doctor there for a few minutes to tell me everything is fine. I know it needs to be done for the health of the baby but it does feel a little silly. My twins were TTTS babies so our weekly (or more) visits were important and it's great that they're watching you closely so they can catch any issues as soon as they come up. Still, I understand how it feels to be going to appointments for what seems like no reason. [​IMG]

9. Cassie05

Cassie05 Well-Known Member

You are doing whats best for your babies, it may seem like a waste of time but its not. TTTS can happen at any time, even if your pregnancy has been picture perfect, things can still go wrong.

God forbid something happens, but think of how you would feel if something did go wrong and you had not gone in, kwim? Thats how I feel with my angel, had I seen the peri she likely would have been delivered before she died. So you better believe I was nuts and went in a billion times goign through the twins pregnancy

10. Mrs.B

Mrs.B Well-Known Member

I'm expecting Mono-Di's too and felt the same way but everyone who's posted is right - better safe than sorry. At times it realy did feel silly going in so many times but each day/week that passes, I am thankful that the babies are still in there and growing. I wish you the best and just hang in there. [​IMG]

11. Evanly

Evanly Well-Known Member

Believe me - it's definately better to be safe than sorry. My two showed no sign of TTTS throughout my whole pregnancy (which only lasted 29 weeks) they measured w/in one ounce and one day of each other - but I went into PTL - and when the boys were delivered they did indeed have it - our littler one, had 3 x the blood volume of his brother. Although I delivered early because of PTL and not TTTS - it was only through the constant monitory because of their ID status that they reconized the shortening of my cervix and were able to hold me off from labor as long as they were...

It's better to be safe than sorry - and the Dr's, nurses and ultrasound staff all know better than anyone else what can go wrong - you're not wasting their time.