MMR

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Ericka B, May 14, 2008.

1. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

I know that there seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding this subject, so I really don't mean to start a debate. I have been doing research and I guess I am just finding so MUCH information I am having trouble sorting through it. Well here we are, the boys are going for their 1year check up and I just have this sick fealing in my stomach about the MMR vaccine. My boys have been vaccinated on schedule all along and haven't had any issues. Dh does have autism in his family, and not that I am totally convinced that there is a link but if developmental delays started and they had the vaccine, I feel like I just wouldn't know. My other concern is that Jack has so many allergies, food, dairy, and environmental I just worry that he will have a reaction. I know nobody can make the decision for me, I am just curious how many gave it on schedule and if their children had any issues?

I am struggling because Dh is of no help. He never questions anything and always leaves important decisions up to me (his way of avoiding taking responsibilty for anything). I think that a big part of my distress over this subject is that I don't have another educated person supporting me and reassuring me. Like I said I don't want to start a heated debate I guess I am just looking for others experience. :)

2. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

I will just say we were on schedule for all vaccines, my boys have a milk intolerance but that's all. I also asked many questions that our Pedi was happy to answer the most noted Thermisol/Mercury (sp?) was no longer in the vaccine. I would ask your Pedi and make a decison from there.

3. kajulie

kajulie Well-Known Member

we got it split. we got measles and mumps at their 15 month visit they were actually 16 months then and we'll get rubella at their next appt when they'll be 19 months..

4. me_and_my_boy

me_and_my_boy Well-Known Member

We have vaccinated on schedule (my boys will be 3 in June) and we've had no issues. It's a personal choice for everyone and we can only gather the information and make the best choice for our kids.

5. mandyfish3

mandyfish3 Well-Known Member

we are waiting until 18 months..mostly because my girls are such peanuts, i'm nervous about any shot.

6. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

We vaccinated on schedule with all the kids but we never had any other issues. If I were in your situation, the autism in dh's family and allergies, I probably would have put it off. Not forever but until they were bigger. Trust your mommy gut. If you don't normally overreact to things, you should definitely follow it's lead!

7. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

We delayed, but just to 15 months. But if there were history of autism in the family and allergies, I would have delayed longer. Probably past 2, maybe 3.

8. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

we gave it at 13 mos and they were fine - I too was sick about it but did it anyway - autism isn't life threatening - any of those other diseases can be...

9. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

We followed our pediatrician's schedule.

10. Erineliza

Erineliza Well-Known Member

I will be both splitting the MMR into separate shots and delaying the time table. Just gives me a little comfort in waiting. They will get them though.

11. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

We vaccinated on schedule and we never had any other issues.

12. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We had ours on time. However, none of my kids have ever had a reaction to any shots and no allergies to any medications.

13. we got ours on schedule and they reacted 10 days later with a rash and fever.... other than that they have developed normally.

14. maggiemay2

maggiemay2 New Member

If I were you I would wait. Do your research on each M,M,Rubella, and decide if you think your child is at risk for any of the 3, also how often are these diseases serious if contracted, you can find out how many cases were reported in your state each year. Yes autism isn't deadly but until you deal with it day in and day out and watch your child suffer it's hard to say you would rather your child have it than death. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not doing any vaccines, I know I'm in the minority here. That is just what I feel okay with at the current time. I am a RN, and hubby is a MD, so you know are decisions are educated and researched. :) Good luck

Jessica

Twin boys 18 months
    DS 6 years

15. 2boysforus

2boysforus Well-Known Member

We were on schedule, but not before badgering our pedi about it first. He told us about all the research, pros and cons etc. We decided to go ahead and give them the shots and the boys did fine, but like you pointed out, only you guys can make that decision. I know it's not an easy one, we struggled with it for months! :hug99:

16. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

QUOTE(jessiemartinez @ May 14 2008, 09:55 AM) [snapback]772954[/snapback]
    Yes autism isn't deadly but until you deal with it day in and day out and watch your child suffer it's hard to say you would rather your child have it than death. Just my 2 cents.

I know the point wasn't to start another debate, but I just have to say that yes, I can absolutely know that I'd rather my child have it than death.

Anyway, to OP, we vaccinated on schedule for everything, and no problems. I would trust my gut, though. For me, there was one vaccination that my doctor was out of when they were supposed to get it, and I spent the next three months worrying that they were going to get that disease and fretting about the fact that they weren't vaccinated yet. :rolleyes: You just have to do what you think is right.

17. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We did everything on our pedi's schedule.

18. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

All 3 of mine are fully vaxed and on time according to our peds schedule.

19. Stinkpea

Stinkpea Well-Known Member

We have not gotten it yet - babes are 14 months right now. We have discussed doing it at 15 months but I am not rushing it - may hold off until 18 months.

If I had the option I would get them split up so they didn't get the 3 at one time. Unfortunately I don't have the choice where I live it is not available although I have asked them to look into it.

20. axpan

axpan Well-Known Member

Ericka I know how stressful it can be to make all these decisions. My dh doesn't participate in making the health decisions either and that adds stress but I try to see it as an indication of trust. We each have our strengths while raising the children and maybe the health part is mine.
    We haven't done the mmr yet but I've gathered some info that might be useful to you. I met with two allergists about this. One said since Iris is highly allergic to egg she should not have it done. Another said he doesn't think the egg allergy is a problem but an allergy to gelatin is.
    We will retest them both for these and see how their allergies have developed over time and see what we will do. If they are allergic to either I will not do the vaccinations.
    The second allergist I saw said that if I decide to do the vaccination and am still conserned about an allergic reaction he will do it at his office. He will give a small portion of the vaccine wait and see what happens and then if all is well give the rest.
    I'm just trying to stall any decisions for as long as I can. the older they are the better they can handle them.
    I'm still not persuaded though that this vaccination is necessary but that's a whole other discussion.
    I still don't know if we'll do them but wanted to share the info I've gathered with you.
    Good luck deciding :hug99: :hug99:

21. TeeandGee

TeeandGee Well-Known Member

Where I live, the MMR shot is given at 12 months and 18 months. We gave them the 12 month shot but we are delaying the 18 month shot until they are at least 2 years old. When I was young, the shots were given at 12 months and then at 4 years old. Some provinces still follow that guideline. I figured if it was safe for some provinces to delay the second shot then it is safe for my girls.

As you pointed out, it is definitely your choice. I wish you luck with your decision.

22. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

My boys have not had it and I still think I am not going to give it at 2. I am thinking closer to 3.

23. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We gave it on schedule but it was a tough decision. If I were in your shoes, with a history of autism, I would probably have delayed the MMR

24. agolden

agolden Well-Known Member

I gave my boys their first shots at 10 months and was going to delay MMR until between 2 and 3 years old. In the past 2 months there have been 2 outbreaks of measles in my city. Since the boys have very little contact with other children, I'm not sold that they are at risk but my doctor (who really lets me follow my gut on everything) is really pushing me now to get it.

I'm very torn also.

25. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

We delayed to 15 months, but if I recall it was because the babies had been sick around there 12 month appointment and the pediatrician recommended just doing it at the next visit.

26. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

My DH also has autism in his family so we decided to delay the MMR, everything else they are current on, except I will not let them get the flu shot. My pedi said that as a new parent of twins her instinct (for her children) is to delay the MMR, which didn't influence my decision ( I had already made it long before she said that to me), just reinforced my gut feeling. Additionally, the girls have delays, and I just can't take any chances with them. I plan on splitting up the shots when they are two.

27. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

We vaccinated on schedule until 12 months. We chose to delay the MMR until they are around age 3. When they do get this vaccination, it will be separated.

28. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

Vaccines are such a touchy subject now-a-days, huh. You stay at home with your boys most of the time, right? I would think, if that's the case, there's less risk for them actually contracting any of those illnesses. You can always tell the doctor you'd like to wait and research it more before making a decision. Personally, if I were you I'd wait a while. I know boys are more likely to get autism (although I honestly don't know if vaccines have a part in that), but even with Karis we waited until she was 2. HTH! Oh, and my twins got their 2 month vaccines and none since then.

There's a lot more to it than just the possible risk of autism. Things such as the myelin sheath (protective barrier around the brain and spinal cord) not being fully developed until after 2 years old, etc....

29. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Ericka B @ May 14 2008, 09:32 AM) [snapback]772786[/snapback]
    I know that there seems to be a lot of controversy surrounding this subject, so I really don't mean to start a debate. I have been doing research and I guess I am just finding so MUCH information I am having trouble sorting through it. Well here we are, the boys are going for their 1year check up and I just have this sick fealing in my stomach about the MMR vaccine. My boys have been vaccinated on schedule all along and haven't had any issues. Dh does have autism in his family, and not that I am totally convinced that there is a link but if developmental delays started and they had the vaccine, I feel like I just wouldn't know. My other concern is that Jack has so many allergies, food, dairy, and environmental I just worry that he will have a reaction. I know nobody can make the decision for me, I am just curious how many gave it on schedule and if their children had any issues?

I am struggling because Dh is of no help. He never questions anything and always leaves important decisions up to me (his way of avoiding taking responsibilty for anything). I think that a big part of my distress over this subject is that I don't have another educated person supporting me and reassuring me. Like I said I don't want to start a heated debate I guess I am just looking for others experience. :)

If it were me with a family history and allergies, I would wait until 18 months maybe 2yrs, just to see how they are doing developmentally.

We vaccinated on schedule with my two.

30. cricket1

cricket1 Well-Known Member

We delayed but, they were sick at their apt. If there is a family history, I would wait.

31. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

We're slightly behind, due to our move, but also because I wanted to. In the US it was scheduled for 15 months, here at 14 months. They'll get it a little over 18 months on 6/2.

32. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

We are delaying it... Something in my stomach told me too... I have vaccinated on time every time until this shot with no allergies or issues... I think vaccines are a great thing... However this one haunted me for some reason. I will posibly have it dont at 15 months or 18 months. Good luck and DH listened to what i wanted to do and supported me but had no knowledge in it. He has no access to the computer so i supplied him with some thoughts and he agreed... :)

33. Kate S

Kate S Well-Known Member

We do not vaccinate at all.

Good luck with your choice.

34. becky5

becky5 Guest

I have vaccinated all of my kids on schedule.

35. LmSjt915

LmSjt915 Well-Known Member

We don't vaccinate the girls, at all. So no they didn't get the MMR. If your gut is telling you to wait, then I would. You are the mother and YOU know best, no matter who tries to tell you different. There is no harm in delaying it for a little while if you feel like gathering more info. FWIW my pedi is fine with our choice not to vaccinate and doesn't pressure us into anything.