milk of magnesia on diaper rash

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by marcymiller, Jan 15, 2009.

1. marcymiller

marcymiller Well-Known Member

I've read a few postings about pediatricians recommending using milk of magnesia on diaper rash. DD has her first bad rash after pooping five times yesterday (up from her usual once a day). So far none of the diaper rash creams I have are helping. I've tried Arbonne Baby Care Diaper Cream and California Baby Diaper Rash Cream w/out much relief. I've read that Triple Paste is fabulous but can't get out of the house just yet w/the girls so want to try something I have on hand... namely milk of magnesia. But, my bottle of phillips is "fresh mint". hmmmmm.... will it burn?

2. marcymiller

oops, posted this in wrong forum. how do i move it?

3. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

I don't know how to move your post....but I wouldn't recommend putting MOM on diaper rash - the mint would burn. The best thing for diaper rash is air. Leave the diaper off, place the baby in a warm, safe, soft spot on the floor & just let her butt get lots of air. If possible, you can use a blow dryer - as long as the dryer has a cool setting. Poor little baby - I hope it gets better soon!

4. alex&andysmom

alex&andysmom Well-Known Member

I've heard of Maalox being used-is milk of mag the same stuff?

5. marcymiller

QUOTE(alex&andysmom @ Jan 15 2009, 04:05 PM) [snapback]1149017[/snapback]
    I've heard of Maalox being used-is milk of mag the same stuff?

I'm not exactly sure. I read about the Milk of magnesia here on several different threads about diaper rash. Someone said their pedi told them this remedy: wipe w/warm, wet paper towel (or cloth I'm guessing). let dry completely. apply MOM and let dry completely and then diaper. I was about to try it and then noticed my bottle said fresh mint so i decided against it. since then i went to the store and bought triple paste and original MOM just in case the paste doesn't work!

6. alex&andysmom

QUOTE(here we go! @ Jan 15 2009, 05:51 PM) [snapback]1149189[/snapback]
    I'm not exactly sure. I read about the Milk of magnesia here on several different threads about diaper rash. Someone said their pedi told them this remedy: wipe w/warm, wet paper towel (or cloth I'm guessing). let dry completely. apply MOM and let dry completely and then diaper. I was about to try it and then noticed my bottle said fresh mint so i decided against it. since then i went to the store and bought triple paste and original MOM just in case the paste doesn't work!

It must have the same type ingredients, From what I understand maalox was also recommended by a pediatrician-ya, I don't think mint would be a good idea, plain sounds a lot better- I'd like to know how that works out for you, diaper rash can be such a pain in the toosh :lol: good luck, keep us posted

7. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

You gotta try Beaudroux's Butt Paste!! You can get it at Wal-Mart and it is THE BEST for diaper rash!!! It's pricy, but SOOOO worth it!!

8. 4kidsmomexpectingtwins

4kidsmomexpectingtwins Well-Known Member

One other great thing for diaper rash is Gentle Mist spray from Walgreens... It is only around $5.00 and it works almost overnight! (edited to add... that for the money, you get a huge bottle that will last forever!) DD has had the stomach flu and started getting diaper rash from all the diareah. I used it 1 time and it was almost gone! The best part about it is that you don't even have to touch their bottoms! You know how even touching it is painful for them... well all you do is spray it on and maybe add a little powder and it is done! I am not kidding, you have to try it... it is seriously AMAZING stuff! I am the mom of 6 kids and I wish I would have known about this before. I tried all the other stuff with my other kids and hated having to apply creams and ointments because I knew every time I touched their little bottoms it hurt. If you really want to get rid of it fast, and painfree... this is the way to go. It's in the incontinence isle... someone there will be able to tell you where to get it. It even works on Mommy... like when you shave the bikini area and you end up with little bumps... it heals them up fast!

9. mamaleah

mamaleah Well-Known Member

Try some cornstarch mixed with vasaline or aquaphor(sp) it always worked well on my babies! Cornstarch absorbs the moisture and vasaline blocks the sensitive skin! My doc suggested it! I would not use the mint, it could burn!!!

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For my son Bourdeaux's Butt Past or Petroleum jelly works great. My daughter, only triple paste will do. Some the ideas I have read on this thread are great ones, it's nice to have some other ideas to deal with diaper rash!

11. Rach1137

Rach1137 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you posted this here! Jack has had horrible diaper rash for the last few days and the Desitin isn't even touching it so it's great to get some more ideas.

One that I'll share is another MoM I work with suggested getting zinc oxide (like what lifegaurds put on their nose) and using that instead of using some of the other creams. She said that she has had good luck with it with her 3 boys.

12. annelily2000

annelily2000 Well-Known Member

Plain old vaseline has always done the trick for us

13. alex&andysmom

QUOTE(Rach1137 @ Jan 16 2009, 08:10 AM) [snapback]1149726[/snapback]
    I'm so glad you posted this here! Jack has had horrible diaper rash for the last few days and the Desitin isn't even touching it so it's great to get some more ideas.

One that I'll share is another MoM I work with suggested getting zinc oxide (like what lifegaurds put on their nose) and using that instead of using some of the other creams. She said that she has had good luck with it with her 3 boys.

As far a I know Desitin is zinc oxide.....hopefully some of the other ideas will help you :)

14. LMW1015

LMW1015 Well-Known Member

I love Aquaphor. My sister swears by Aquaphor during the day and Beaudreauxs Butt Paste at night. I bought both and so far I haven't had to use the butt paste. The Aquaphor is great and my pedi agreed.

15. marcymiller

Wow, everyone's been so helpful! Thank you SO much for all of your input. I did try the original milk of magnesia and I noticed improvement in her sensitivity by the next diaper change. Her bum still looked red and irritated after one application, but she didn't cry at all when I wiped and it seemed like it was healing. This is what I did: wiped with warm wash cloth and let dry completely. I let her hang out w/me diaperless... yes, risking the unthinkable, for about ten minutes (this alone could have made all the difference I think). Then I applied a layer of mom w/a q-tip and let it dry completely. Then, a layer of diaper rash cream (I bought the triple cream that lots of you love but it managed to fall out of the bag in the car and I couldn't get downstairs to the garage for it so I either used the California Baby or Arbonne Herbal stuff) and then diapered her. I did that twice and when I changed her this morning..... marked improvement!! She was with our babysitter all day while i was at work. Tonight, she seems to have had a little relapse. I let her air dry but didn't reapply the mom and used tons of triple paste before bed. We'll see how she looks in the morning.

I REALLY appreciate all of the input about your favorite remedies! What works for one may not be the trick for another so it's awesome to have our arsenals loaded with ideas! I'm keeping Butt Paste in mind to try next as well as cornstarch and aquafor, vaseline, and I am VERY intrigued by the... what was it called.... Gentle Mist from Walgreens or something like that? I can't scroll up while I'm posting but it's something a PP mentioned that can even be used on mommy's bikini area bumps!!! :woohoo:

16. marcymiller

Just wanted to update on DD's diaper rash. Woke up this morning and it was ALL GONE! I don't know if it was the air time, the milk of magnesia or the triple paste... all I know is I will do that routine again next time since it worked so well for her. Thanks again everyone!!