Maybe a really STUPID question....

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by nikio95, Sep 8, 2009.

1. nikio95

nikio95 Active Member

My girls have been really irritable and I have noticed a couple of times that their poop was kind of watery...but my question is when they are only barely 4 weeks old, what does diahrea look like? I know this might seem silly, but since they are fed breast milk...you know their poop doesn't look like real poop anyway.

I am just trying to figure out if there is a problem with milk or something. My DD had a milk intolerance, but not really noticeable until she was on cow's milk (made her tummy hurt and diahrea). I know that I have been drinking more milk and eating more ice cream than I did with DD.

Thanks for tolerating a silly question.

Niki

2. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

Has their poop always been watery? One of my boys has had watery stool since they day he was born even still now that he is on solids. It can be hard to say especially with breast fed babies because they can be anywhere from watery to a seedy consistency. Have your girls always been irritable or is it a sudden onset? It could be a variety of things so I would say if it just started then perhaps take them to the DR or speak to your public health nurse and see what they have to say. Hope it gets better

3. MelinaS79

MelinaS79 Well-Known Member

Not even a stupid question at all :) Maybe since you're consuming more milk products, your new little ones may be intolerant as well. Maybe try cutting it out for a week or two and see if they get better? If so I'd think that would be the issue. :(

Soy milks and rice/almond milks are great substitute.. I know it stinks going dairy-free but I've heard of SO many ladies who have had to do it if their babies were lactose intolerant. :(

*hugs*

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

There are no stupid questions around here. Normal baby poop is sometimes quite loose, but generally not watery. If you are getting watery poop, especially if there is mucous in it, you may need a change of formula or your diet if you are breastfeeding.

5. opalbarb

opalbarb Well-Known Member

My doc said the key is when the poop is black or mucusy. We suspect that my DD has trouble with the milk protein (it's not actually lactose-intolerance, supposedly), so what I do is pump when I have any milk or cheese and feed that to him and feed her stored BM that I have pumped previously... so that way I can have dairy like 1x per day without her having to drink the dairy milk. But I'm also pumping a lot in addition to BF, if you're not then my system wouldn't work for you. We have pretty much eliminated the black poops by doing this.

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

Niki, if it's watery, I would think there is something going on. I would try taking the milk out of your diet and see if it improves.

(Congratulations on your sweet babies, by the way! I didn't know that you delivered!!)

7. rosenschaf

rosenschaf Well-Known Member

Both my boys have a milk allergy (its the milk protein, not the lactose) and it became apparent around the same time (at four/five weeks). Be careful with soy products as well because those allergic to milk often are sensitive or allergic to soy also. I found rice and almond milk a good substitute. The boys are so much happier since I went off dairy. Do continue to take your prenatal vitamin or a calcium supplement though! Sorry for fussy babies :huh: