Max's cardiologist appt is tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ckreh, Jun 29, 2009.

1. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

I am actually kinda nervous. Max's ped. cardiologist appt. is tomorrow at 9am to follow up with his open heart surgery at 8-weeks old to repair his congential heart defect. We have been going in every few months for the first year. They told us at the last appt. that if all goes well tomorrow that he will only need to see the doctor once a year for an annual check up. There is a 10% chance when he is 20 that he will need a second surgery to expand the repair to grow with his adult body. I guess I am surprised I am actually getting nervous. His well-baby visits have been going so good and the doctors in the practice are amazed he had open heart surgery because you can barely hear it when they listen with the stethiscopes and the scar is so faint you have to be looking for it.

The only bad thing is keeping him still for the ekg, echo cardiogram, and ultrasound of his heart that takes about 20 minutes. That will be the worst because he is a squirming 13 month old now, not just a little lump who would lay where ever you placed him. I have packed toys, books, and snacks to help keep him still.

Thanks for letting me vent to get rid of the nerves.

2. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

Kristin, :hug: I'll be thinking of you and Max tomorrow. I'm sure everything will turn out great!! :good: Good luck with holding him still for 20 minutes!

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Good luck Kristin and Max! Please keep us posted with how he makes out :hug:

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Good luck!!!! Let us know how it goes :hug:

5. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

Thinking of y'all!

Heck, my nerves got bad the few days before my boys had to have urological surgery a few months ago. And that's beans, right!?

6. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Good luck!! I hope everything goes well. Sounds like you're well-prepared to endure the testing. I'll be thinking of you guys!!

7. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Update:
    Everything went great. His tiny whole they left healed on its own. He has a small leak from when they fixed the valve obstruction, but that may heal itself by the time he is 19 or 20 years old. So now we graduate to once a year check ups instead of every few months. :clapping:

The worst was the ultrasound. We had to hold him down for 20 minutes while he screamed and cried so they could get a good image of his heart. That was exhausting for all of us and I think everyone at the hospital heard him screaming. At least it turned out to be good news in the end.

8. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

:clapping: Wonderful news!!!

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:yahoo: for fabulous news!!!!

10. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

:yahoo: Woo hoo! That's great news!

11. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Glad the appointment went well and the hole has closed!!

12. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

:yahoo: How exciting!!! Thanks for updating us - I've been thinking about you guys!

13. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

What great news!!! :woohoo:

Those u/s are horrible. We had to have one done on both boys at 11 months due to their head sizes (large head sizes) - so they had to look through the fontanels. Not fun at all. :hug:

14. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

That is wonderful news!

15. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Oh I can't even imagine taking both Max & Lily. I give you lots of credit for making it through that test. Max was bad enough. The cardiologist was like "I don't think he like that test" and I said "I think the whole hospital knows he didn't like that test". Lily is such a drama queen it would have been 100 times worse.

16. laurajrad

laurajrad Well-Known Member

Congratulations on graduating to yearly check ups. That's great news!