Maternity clothes for twin pregnancies

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Amycplus, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

Today I went to get some new maternity clothes and realized I am seriously at risk of running out of things to wear by the end. At five months, I am huge! Some of the XL tops didn't fit today (I'm normally a medium) so what will I wear in a few months? Does anyone have recommendations for online stores and/or Canadian options that accommodate twin pregnancies? Any creative thoughts on how to deal with expanding girth and avoiding wearing a garbage bag? :)

2. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was allll belly toward the end, so I had a really hard time finding maternity tops that stretched over that. I had a lot of stuff from Thyme, but the only thing that really fit by the end was a dress. I saw some really nice maternity stuff at Mexx the other day; their stuff tends to be longer so I think it would probably work out well. Old Navy also has some decent longer t-shirts. If I had it to do over again I'd buy a pair of maternity tights and a bunch of cute dresses because they won't get too short!

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Dresses & leggings were my go-to as well, although I was huge over the summer. I also grew out of my first set of maternity clothes by 6 months. What really worked was BIG plus sized regular clothes (non maternity). This may not work for you though, depending on your pre-pregnant shape. :hug: Also, JCPenny online has tall & plus sized maternity- I haven't tried it but maybe that'd be a better fit? :hug:

4. ohd1974

ohd1974 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even waste your money on maternity clothes. Old Navy shirts in XXL's.

5. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree, dresses with leggings. It was so hard to find even the largest maternity shirt to cover up my enormous belly by the end.

6. k2daho

k2daho Well-Known Member

I started wearing long tank tops under my maternity shirts near the end to hide some of the "under belly" which you just can't help but expose! Also, I just stopped giving a crap in the last month or so about who saw how much belly! lol. I bought the two packs of tank tops from Costco in a size bigger than usual. Those were great for post pregnancy as well to wear as a layer under another shirt to not expose my twin skin belly while nursing.

7. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

By the end of my pregnancy, I was wearing borrowed t-shirts from my BIL. He is a bigger guy and wears 3X shirts. I couldn't stand tight clothes and these gave me plenty of room to breath. I wasn't fashion forward, but I was comfortable!

8. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies,

I will expand my thinking beyond maternity clothes to what fits. Men's clothes, here I come!

Thanks,

Amy

9. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I bought a lot of my stuff at Thyme and Old Navy. I also wore lots of those really long tanks under most of my shirts.

10. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I agree with the suggestion of dresses and leggings. I also had one long strechty wrap cardigan that covered up any shirts that were too short at the end.

11. BaileyandMarleysMom

BaileyandMarleysMom Well-Known Member

I totally agree with not buying maternity clothes. I bought a very few things because I was still working and I needed to be presentable, but outside of work and right up until after delivery I was wearing my dh's shorts and t-shirts. In fact, I was rolled into the hospital wearing his stuff to deliver. LOL! I found that maternity clothes were overpriced considering the value that I actually ended up getting out of them. Besides I never really saw anything in maternity stores that I LOVED and so I spent the money kind of begrudgingly and I felt like it was more of a waste of money than anything else.

And, like others have said, I just bought XL things from places that I would normally shop because I like the styles better than maternity clothes.

12. Peggy92

Peggy92 New Member

Well, my twins are already here.. but I can tell you the best advice I ever got when I was pregnant was to only buy maternity clothes that are made for twins. There are several brands available, and some are not that expensive (same price as regular maternity clothes). Don't even bother trying to stuff your belly in regular maternity clothes- they just won't fit after 6-7 months. The one brand I wore the most was called For Multiples Maternity, but I think there are other brands also. Good luck mommies-to-be! Twins are such a blessing!

13. keirin

keirin Well-Known Member

I bought some nice long stretchy maternity tank tops and wore them under all my shirts toward the end of my pregnancy. That covered my tummy if it stuck out a little bit...

14. praises1139

praises1139 Well-Known Member

i heard men's shirts are your best bet. i am normally a medium as well, but luckily i bought a couple of XL maternity shirts before going on bedrest. they still have room to grow so i think they will last me. i still fit in my L maternity pants. if i outgrow those, i'm screwed! i didn't have any for lounging around the house though, so i had to get some large cotton pajama pants at Target with a drawstring (they have a loose waist instead of one of those elastic ones) and they are so comfy. i've seriously been wearing the same few outfits day after day and having DH wash them for me. being on bedrest definitely saves you money on clothes...lol