massive feeding frustration (vent)

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by akameme, Feb 20, 2007.

1. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i don't know what i'm doing wrong, but feedings always seem to last endlessly.

this morning, becca got up at 3:15a - gave her 2.5 ounces, then tried to give her the breast and all she wanted to do was play...tried to get her down...before i could succeed jake woke up..at 4:15...it's now 4:50a and both are down (i think).

how do people manage to start and end a feeding in30 minutes? I'm never able to accomplish this - particuarly with Becca in the overnight feedings (Jake is usually good).

sigh..just wanted to vent that it's gotten to the point where I hate feeding the kids becauseit takes forever and then it will start again in like 90 minutes.

2. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

i don't know what i'm doing wrong, but feedings always seem to last endlessly.

this morning, becca got up at 3:15a - gave her 2.5 ounces, then tried to give her the breast and all she wanted to do was play...tried to get her down...before i could succeed jake woke up..at 4:15...it's now 4:50a and both are down (i think).

how do people manage to start and end a feeding in30 minutes? I'm never able to accomplish this - particuarly with Becca in the overnight feedings (Jake is usually good).

sigh..just wanted to vent that it's gotten to the point where I hate feeding the kids becauseit takes forever and then it will start again in like 90 minutes.

3. angie7

angie7 Well-Known Member

Your babies are still really young. It will get better with time. I remember my DD's both waking in the middle of the nite to play. It was so frustrating b/c all you want to do is sleep and they are wide awake playing! I remember a couple of times putting them in their swings or their bouncy seats at 2am just to give me a break...

4. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

I agree with pp, they are still little, and they will eventually get it. That doesn't help you now, though. Sorry. I found the first 3 months exhausting, but then it really does improve. My boys are 6 months, and we only occassionally have a really bad night now.

5. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Your babies are still young, and they are just slow eaters when they are little. Those first 3 months were pretty much non-stop feedings, with some naps and diaper changes thrown in.

Give it some time, they do get much, much faster. My daughters can down 6-9 ounces in 3 minutes nowadays.

6. kristie75

kristie75 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry - I know it's hard. They are eating so often and it takes so long to feed them, and then you have two to deal with. Try nursing first, and do it for 15 minutes. Then give the bottle. If it takes forever for them to drink from the bottle, try going up a nipple size. They may be able to handle it and it's worth a shot trying.

7. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

quote:
    Try nursing first, and do it for 15 minutes. Then give the bottle. If it takes forever for them to drink from the bottle, try going up a nipple size. They may be able to handle it and it's worth a shot trying.

Ditto.

I agree with PP, they are still little, it will take a few more weeks for them to really get down what is going on and what they are suppose to do.

Hang in there [​IMG]