Lunchtime victory!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by ahmerl, Aug 11, 2008.

1. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

...to try something new and actually have them eat it...

Jack and Lily do like peas; however, they are difficult for them to eat. They fall out of their hands when they grab a fistful and they are not proficient with the utensils yet.

SOOOO, I mashed up some peas and put them into their whole wheat cheese quesadilla. They actually ate it!

This just made my day :)! It is truly the little things in life...

2. SnowCraig

SnowCraig Well-Known Member

That is a great idea! I am actually going to try the quesadilla idea tonight for dinner after everyone here recommends them so highly!

We had a pea "war" last week. One day they both ate them, the next time DS wouldn't touch them, but DD would eat them. The next meal they swapped! I was getting frustrated and I had opened a big can of them (that I had on hand and wanted to use up). So...I mashed them up with a little butter, salt, and pepper. Wouldn't you know it...my picky non-veggy guy gobbled them up and my DD spit them out. I can't win.

So...tonight maybe with the help of some melted cheese and tortilla, we can make this work!

Thanks!!

Jess

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

HOT DIGGITY!! That's great!!!

4. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

What a great idea!! I'm glad they liked it!!

5. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

I really wish mine would eat quesadilla's as I like them too!!! But they won't touch them, but I keep on trying.

I hear you on the small victory's. I make the kids bread (pumpkin, banana, zuchinni, etc) and love to watch them gobble it up, all the work pays off!

6. SnowCraig

SnowCraig Well-Known Member

So, I put peas in their quesadillas last night. DS gobbled it up...too fast and too much. Does anyone have issues with their kids not chewing the quesadilla and having it be "sharp" going down. I don't know if I made them too crispy, but Parker was not chewing sufficiently and then would somewhat cringe as he swalled. I'm assuming they felt sharp. He worked through it though and ate quite a bit - peas and all. I'll try to make them softer and give smaller pieces next time.

DD did okay, but is not a fan of mushed up peas. She did better with just the cheese parts. Funny because she will eat whole peas - just not keen on them mushed up.

I am going to keep trying the quesadilla idea and putting various things in there. I have an avacado to try out with them...maybe that will go in with some cheese and a little salsa???

Thanks again for the ideas everyone!!

Jess

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Great idea! :clapping:

8. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SnowCraig @ Aug 12 2008, 01:04 PM) [snapback]925847[/snapback]
    So, I put peas in their quesadillas last night. DS gobbled it up...too fast and too much. Does anyone have issues with their kids not chewing the quesadilla and having it be "sharp" going down. I don't know if I made them too crispy, but Parker was not chewing sufficiently and then would somewhat cringe as he swalled. I'm assuming they felt sharp. He worked through it though and ate quite a bit - peas and all. I'll try to make them softer and give smaller pieces next time.

DD did okay, but is not a fan of mushed up peas. She did better with just the cheese parts. Funny because she will eat whole peas - just not keen on them mushed up.

I am going to keep trying the quesadilla idea and putting various things in there. I have an avacado to try out with them...maybe that will go in with some cheese and a little salsa???

Thanks again for the ideas everyone!!

Jess

Jess,

Glad it worked for one at least! I just zap mine in the microwave for 25 seconds or so and they come out pretty soft. I do use the whole wheat tortillas which I think make it a little "more sharp" if you know what I mean. I just use the bulk of the quesadilla and sort of get rid of the harder ends.

I have also discovered the peas in the quesadilla thing to be good for me. Even though I have lunch of my own I always find myself stealing bits of their quesadilla. The peas in the middle thing was totally unappetizing to me so it also stopped me from stealing those little bites that add up and put on the mommy pounds!

Amy

9. ~ilyse~

~ilyse~ Well-Known Member

way to go mommy!!!

10. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Great idea!

I also zap mine in the microwave and cut up the middle for the girls and leave the rougher edges for myself.