Low amniotic fluid anyone?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by heathlenore, Mar 1, 2010.

1. heathlenore

heathlenore Well-Known Member

This past Thursday I went to L&D for increased contractions. By the time I got to the hospital they were 5 minutes apart and pretty intense. I had to start magnesium drip that evening b/c they wouldn't seem to calm down. I was on the mag for 1 1/2 days and it wasn't as terrible as I had envisioned it would be as well as the steroid shots. The mag did slow things down and luckily the fFibronectin test was neg. and my cervix is still at 4cm. The night before we left they wanted to do another u/c because it seemed like twins weren't moving as much after the mag. Baby B was doing fine but Baby A had low pockets of amniotic fluid. Doc was concerned but found another bigger pocket of fluid early the next morn. Wondering if anyone was experienced low amniotic fluid with one of their twins or both? Poor Baby A is stuck in the corner by my cervix and Baby B has more fluid and pretty sprawled out across my belly. Please share. I thought PTL was just enough to deal with and now I am concerned about Baby A's fluid. I will see the peri again on Thurs with another u/s. I just hope that we won't have to deliver early because of this, I surely want to keep them cooking a lot longer than 30 weeks!

2. TennesseeMomma

TennesseeMomma Well-Known Member

I had no problems until about 28 weeks...then Baby A had very low fluid. I went for a routine check, and my doc put me in the hospital overnight and sent me to a peri the next day. They really had no advice for me but to REST and drink plenty of fluids. I made it to 34 weeks 4 days when I went for my checkup and realized low fluid again and I had Pre-eclampsia. My doc and U/s tech both told me they thought the bedrest really helped me to keep them cooking for longer...their fluid can change very quickly, so try not to worry! Try and rest as much as you can and let other people wait on you! If you have other children, maybe someone can come and help you out?

I hope things settle down for you and everything goes well!

3. Kathlene

Kathlene Well-Known Member

Hi, I am not expecting but like to pop in from time to time to see the baby stories. I can't remember if DiDi is identical or fraternal. It seems to me it is ID. If so they should be keeping a close watch for ttts (twin twin transfusion syndrome). Low fluid in one baby and excess fluid in the other baby can be a sign. If they are fraternal this condition is not possible. HTH

4. heathlenore

My twins are di/di and they have been almost the same in growth rate all along, Baby A was a few oz. smaller at our 29 wk growth scan. Baby B's fluid is in normal range but Baby A's is low. Thursday we have another ultrasound to check levels.

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I had no problems just braxton hicks until 30 weeks. My babies had been almost perfectly even at every visit. THEN at my 30 week visit I was SHOCKED to learn that my baby A had not only not grown any in the last 2 weeks BUT had low fluid AND was VERY lethargic, the u/s tech had to use the buzzer to wake her. I was so afraid! At that point I was put on bedrest and told to drink, drink, drink! not only water but Boost too. I was checked twice a week from that point on. At each visit it was known that if she did not pick up OR fluid levels were worse they would deliver. Her fluid level never improved but it did not get worse. At birth she was 6.9 her sister was 6.8 so she was a touch heavier! In our case bed rest and boost helped. My girls were di di also.

CONGRATULATIONS on your babies!

6. heathlenore

Thanks for your experiences,ladies!! I will keep up the fluid levels and pray that we don't have to deliver the boys early. I have an u/s on Thursday and hope fluid levels have not went down for Baby A. Poor little guy I feel like he is crunched in a corner on top of my cervix while his bro has the rest of my tummy to sprawl.

7. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Keep us posted on the u/s! hope you find everything is fine.
    Oh and maybe he is nice and cozy in his corner...I would think if he wanted to he could nudge his brother out of the way!!
    Take care!

8. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

DS had low fluid. I drank like crazy and his fluid got better--not great, but good enough. Trust me, you will never want to drink water again after the babies are born ;)

DD was also all crunched up in a corner--she still likes to sleep all crunched up.