losing mucus plug

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by esthermend, Aug 24, 2007.

1. esthermend

esthermend Member

hey ok so like you know i'm 33 1/2 weeks and i think i just lost my mucus plug... it wasnt bloody.. just yellow w/ a small patch of light brown. i called the dr. and am waiting for a return call now to tell me what to do... i'm not having any contractions ( i think) and until now my cervix was closed and just shortening... anyone know what this means? how logn it will be?
    should i ask forf steroid shots?

2. tammygb

tammygb Well-Known Member

i don't know the specific answer, but seem to recall that someone asked something similar and one person responded that it was two weeks between when they lost their mucus plug and when they really went into labor. still, i hope your ob has you get the steroid shot.

3. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

I lost my mucus plug 3 weeks ago.. and i have been 3 cm dialated for 2 weeks.. It doesnt mean that you will go into labor right away, but I heard that its supposed to mean 2-3 weeks.

4. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's your mucus plug or could it just be discharge? I had TON of discharge at that point...it's like it was just constantly spilling out. I too thought I had lost my mucus plug (I was hospitalized at the time) but they did an exam and it was just excess discharge. I've heard you can go quite some time without your mucus plug...sometimes a few weeks. Goodluck to you.

You might want to ask about the steriod shots, but you are close to the cut-off. Drs. usually won't do it past 34 weeks and you are just shy of that. So, I don't know if that's still a possibility or not, but I would ask.

5. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

There really isn't a good way to determine if it's really your plug or not..and even if it is it really doesn't mean a whole lot.

If you have any back pain, unusual pressure or ctx then you definitely want to be checked out....obviously leaking fluid should be checked out too.... but merely losing your plug, doesn't really mean anything. Lots of women lose it without even realizing it... I never noticed it with my first dd...and I may have lost it with the twins too since I was at a 2cm dilated for several weeks...but I never noticed... so it's a hard call.

6. esthermend

esthermend Member

ok so heres the update.... i went to L&D (second tiome this week)- i feel like i should move in... they monitored me and the babies and said all is ok... there is very slight uterine irritability and my cervix is still long and closed... they said not to worry about losing the plug.. it doesnt mean much, they said there is no point in getting the steroids cuz by the time it would take into effect would be 34 weeks already.. so i'm home and chilling...

7. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

Good update! FWIW, I lost my plug with BOTH pgs and had the kiddos within 48 hours. But all women are different! I hope you can hang in there for another week or two! Take care!