Loose, yucky, gross stools

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Snittens, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

For a few days now, Ainsley, and Bea too but not as bad, has been having the nastiest poops. Ainsley has a huge poopy diaper every morning. They are both pooping at their normal times, just when they poop, it's very loose and it smells extremely bad. I have cut out milk, have been giving them nothing but Pedialyte and water to drink, and have been giving them bland food like applesauce, toast, scrambled eggs. I don't know if this is just a bug or what. They have been acting fine. Anyone ever have something like this?

2. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

It could just be a bug. Try giving them rice or bananas. Both are binding foods and might help.

I hope that they feel better soon!

3. 2girls2b

2girls2b Well-Known Member

Regan and Tessa were both having the same thing off and on for a couple of weeks. I attributed it to some type of virus because we haven't changed their diet or anything. It seems to be a lot better now. I just made sure they had plenty to drink so they wouldn't be dehydrated. They never had a fever or really acted any differently.

4. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I think it must be a stomach virus. Last night, Bea woke up with poop everywhere. It was really gross, had to give her a bath and change the sheets. :bad: They both had diapers full of poop this morning too and have each had a diarrhea poop today. I have them on nothing but the BRAT+yogurt (Dr. Sears site says to give yogurt too) today. I am really hoping they will be better tomorrow. They have a preschool Halloween party and our Mom's Club party. I think we may have to miss it though.

5. DeLana

DeLana Well-Known Member

Mine have just gone through this - it started with the diarrhea you describe and progressed to vomiting as well (this for only a few days). Once they stopped vomiting, the diarrhea continued for a total of 2-3 weeks (dd got it before ds).

The ped told us to make sure they get enough fluids (at least one wet diaper every 8 hrs). This was a challenge, 'cause when they were so sick they didn't want to drink anything (especially NOT Pedialyte). Only if they cannot do this and become dehydrated, or are unable to keep anything down, would they need to be seen.

What you are giving them is fine, I would just be careful with the eggs - when we thought ds was over it, we gave him a very fatty dinner (including scrambled eggs) - and were soon rewarded with a total diaper blowout :icon_eek:

Hope they get well soon,

DeLana

P.S. Since getting over this illness about a week ago, the twins have been ravenous!