Looking for help!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by carthur613, Nov 5, 2008.

1. carthur613

carthur613 Well-Known Member

DS scraped her eyeball and has not been able to open her eye for almost two hours, she is still screaming. We are going to the doctor in one hour, but I wanted to know if anyone else ever had this happen, and what will the doctor do? Eye salve? Eye patch? I just feel horrible for her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. cmccarthy

cmccarthy Well-Known Member

Probably a patch. There isn't much else they can do unless something is stuck in there. Feels like a sunburn on your eyeball.
    Poor baby.

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I have no idea. :hug: to you and her. Let us know what the doctor says. :hug:

4. 4kidsmomexpectingtwins

4kidsmomexpectingtwins Well-Known Member

They have always given us an ointment. If it's really deep, then they will do a patch, but not unless.

5. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

Hope the scratch heals quickly.

Dianna

6. cmccarthy

cmccarthy Well-Known Member

Please let us know how it went!

7. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

Never with my kids, but several times with my dog (the cat had to take matters in to his own hands - or claws - when we first got the dog).

I vaguely remember that we had 3 different eye ointments to use - one was an antibiotic, one was a pain reliever, and I don't remember what the other one was.

The vet put some dye in his eye and looked at it with some special light to be able to see the scratch first.

Don't know if this is the same as what they do with people, but I bet it's similar.

Rachel

8. carthur613

carthur613 Well-Known Member

Update!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took her to the pedi and they did put this special eye drop in that is flourescent, then they put a black light on it and it glows where the scratch is... She said "oh yeah, there it is", and then told me to look - OMG!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder she was screaming! It is no small scratch! It was the width of her fingernail (so she scratched it straight on) and went from the top of her eye to the bottom. I started crying when I saw it because I could just imagine how much pain she was in. They just gave her some eye drops and I have to go back in today for a recheck. Apparently corneal abrasions heal very quickly and they like to check 24 hours to make sure it's healing up - if not they would send you to an opthamologist. But she slept through the night and woke up smiling and laughing! Her eye still looks bad (puffy and red from so much crying and rubbing), but I think it's just fine. The pedi told me they don't do patches anymore because they tend to see more infections when they use a patch (dry damp area). So thank you for your replies, I was just a nervous wreck!!!

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I am glad that she is on the mend. :hug:

10. lisaessman@verizon.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I am so glad her eye is okay and that she is in good spirits. :)

11. shandy

shandy Well-Known Member

when my first 2 boys were ages 1 & 2 (ya know.. "just like twins" -- LOL... sorry, couldn't resist!) my older one was swinging around one of those metal curtain rods and totally got my 1 year old in the eye and actually "scooped" out a piece of the cornea! I was sooo queasy and scared and horrified he'd be blind, etc...
    took him in and just like you -- did the drops, let me see his eye with the piece missing and said he'd be all better within 24-48 hours! and he was!
    so.... I'm glad your LO is sleeping and not seeming to have it be as bothersome -- hooray!!

12. avd1995

avd1995 Well-Known Member

Glad DD is feeling better. :hug: