looking for carseats after infant snugrides, suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by alexafaeh, Apr 24, 2009.

1. alexafaeh

alexafaeh Well-Known Member

hi all,

I have the infant car seats snugrides and I am doing research now to get the 2 next ones...my pedi just told me to get those that face back and forward, and to face them still backwards UNTIL 2 YEARS OLD.

I think there are evenflo or cosco ones for about $100, anybody can suggest any and what models and can you tell me why you like them? also, we'll have to take them with us on the plane to switzerland and for the rental car there in september.

my kids are over the height limit with the snugride but not the weight limit, can I still use them or do I have to change?

thanks for help.
    alexa

2. caba

caba Banned

I think you should change one they reach either of hte limits. You need a convertible car seat (they can go backwards and forwards) ... we have the Sunshine Kids Radian 80s and love them ... they actually fold up, so might be convenient to travel with ...

3. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

We got an awesome deal on Evenflo Triumph Advance seats. We like them a lot. They are big, but comfy for the kids. We channged because Karina passed the height limit on the Snugride. They were on clearance (because of color, I think) at Target fr $97, but they are regularly $140.

4. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Beth*J @ Apr 24 2009, 11:17 AM) [snapback]1287037[/snapback]
    We got an awesome deal on Evenflo Triumph Advance seats. We like them a lot. They are big, but comfy for the kids. We channged because Karina passed the height limit on the Snugride. They were on clearance (because of color, I think) at Target fr $97, but they are regularly $140.

This is the same kind we have and we like them a lot! :good:

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Once they reach either the height or weight limit on a seat, you need to switch.

We have the Evenflo Triumph Advance as well and the Britax Marathons. They are both great seats for rear facing and forward facing.

6. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

the highest rated ones for safely i could find were the britax, particularly boulevards, which we had the room for ,so we bought. they are expensive but it seemed like the best place to spend money on something... also, w/bru coupons we saved $100 on each.

we love them! they are sooo easy to use:). highly recommend!

7. paulacraft1

paulacraft1 Well-Known Member

We just changed to the britax boulevards and I love them too, they are expensive and big and heavy but they have great safety ratings and I love them!

8. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

We love our Sunshine Kids Radians, but they are hard to install rear-facing. We managed it behind the passenger seat, but not behind the driver's, because they're such tall seats (harness to 65 or 80 pounds, depending on which you get) that it just didn't fit. Also, they're better suited to big kids, and I don't think they'd be all that comfortable for infants. (We didn't get them until my little ones were 15 months old.)

If you can afford it, I would look at the Britax Marathons or Boulevards.

9. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

we have and LOVE the britax diplomats

10. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Beth*J @ Apr 24 2009, 11:17 AM) [snapback]1287037[/snapback]

Yes, once they are over the height or weight they need to be switched.

We got the Evanflo Triumph Advance car seats (go up to 55 lbs) and LOVE 'em!!!

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I gotta echo the props for the Evenflo Triumph Advance seats. Easy to install and use, we love them. Like others have said you should switch them out once they either exceed the height or weight limit. I cannot give you any advice about flying with them, I have not done that yet. Good luck on your decision!

12. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

We have the Evenflo Triumph Advances as well, but I don't think they fit on planes. You might want to check the width limit on car seats for the airline you're flying on to Switzerland before you make a purchase. The Britax Marathons seem less wide than the Evenflo's so those might be better for airplane rides.

13. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

We have Britax Boulevards and I am very happy with them. :)

And yes, you need to switch once they reach either of the limits (weight OR hieght).

Good luck choosing the next car seat.

14. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

We have the Britax Marathon - love them. And, our almost 5-year-old is still in his Marathon - so they have the possibility of lasting quite awhile, by height and weight! Good luck with your decision!

15. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

It's time to switch.

You need a convertible carseat that is easy to install (one with a seat belt lock off on the side is great) and it has to be FAA approved (most are except for the bigger ones). You may want a carseat carry bag to protect them on your trip as well. We have the Britax Roundabout (fantastic seat that is very easy to install) and the Radian 60 (difficult to install and heavy but you can fit 3 across in a car). Good luck shopping!

16. mmbadger

mmbadger Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Becca34 @ Apr 24 2009, 01:16 PM) [snapback]1287142[/snapback]
    We love our Sunshine Kids Radians, but they are hard to install rear-facing. We managed it behind the passenger seat, but not behind the driver's, because they're such tall seats (harness to 65 or 80 pounds, depending on which you get) that it just didn't fit. Also, they're better suited to big kids, and I don't think they'd be all that comfortable for infants. (We didn't get them until my little ones were 15 months old.)

If you can afford it, I would look at the Britax Marathons or Boulevards.

We have the Sunshine Radians, as well - I love them. I installed them rear facing no problem, and at 15 months both are now forward facing. The seats are made of metal and actually fold in half, which would be awesome for your travels. The other bonus is that the seat base is slightly narrower than other models, so they allow for more room in the 3rd seat in the row.