Lightheaded in certain positions? Maybe TMI.....

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by watersurfers, Mar 18, 2009.

1. watersurfers

watersurfers Well-Known Member

Hi,

This may be way TMI.... so please don't get grossed out. LOL.
    Anyway, I am 20 weeks pregnant with twins. I have had some constipation issues. Well, this morning, I took my prenatal, without eating yet (oops which always makes me sick). Then, I felt like I had to go to the bathroom, but ended up sitting there for like 10 minutes due to constipation. I started feeling really sick, and then when I stood up got super light headed and had to lay down in the hall on my left side for a few minutes. I felt fine then, just a little shaky. Is this weird or is it cause I was sitting in a certain position for a while blocking blood flow? Anyone ever get light headed?

Thanks!
    Molly

2. artemis

artemis Well-Known Member

If you hadn't eaten yet, I'd guess it was a blood sugar issue. Did you feel better after breakfast?

3. lromansky

lromansky Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mollyelizabeth @ Mar 18 2009, 01:29 PM) [snapback]1234062[/snapback]
    Hi,

This may be way TMI.... so please don't get grossed out. LOL.
    Anyway, I am 20 weeks pregnant with twins. I have had some constipation issues. Well, this morning, I took my prenatal, without eating yet (oops which always makes me sick). Then, I felt like I had to go to the bathroom, but ended up sitting there for like 10 minutes due to constipation. I started feeling really sick, and then when I stood up got super light headed and had to lay down in the hall on my left side for a few minutes. I felt fine then, just a little shaky. Is this weird or is it cause I was sitting in a certain position for a while blocking blood flow? Anyone ever get light headed?

Thanks!
    Molly

I always take my prenatal with food... I can't handle it without food. ALSO earlier in my pregnancy i was constipated... my doctor told me to start taking Metamucil pills. I've been taking them since around 7 weeks pregnant and they work like a charm - NO constipation for me! That would be my advice to you!

4. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:hug:

I would think it's because you hadn't eaten yet or maybe you stood up to quickly from the toilet? Either way, I hope it doesn't happen to you anymore. :hug:

5. watersurfers

Thanks for your responses ladies. I forgot to mention, I only slept 2 hours last night, had a bad case of insomnia, so that def could have contributed!

6. stephi5882

stephi5882 Member

The muscles you use when trying to have a bowel movement are by a nerve called your vagus nerve. When you are trying to have a bowel movement for a long period of time, the pressure on this nerve causes your heart rate to drop. So when you stood up your heartrate could have been a little low, which would have caused the dizziness. I'm an RN, and this is something you have to watch for in patients with blood pressure of heart issues.
    Drink lots of water and maybe try taking a OTC stool softener ( if ok with your MD of course).
    I'm currently taking Colace twice a day.

7. watersurfers

Thanks Stephi! That makes sense. I just get super paranoid. I have PVC's (benign heart palps) but sometimes I get rapid heartrate too, like a panic attack, again all stated was benign. BUT I don't pass out ever, so that freaked me a little. I am sure it was from lack of sleep, sitting too long with twins blocking blood flow.

8. BabyMoPlusThree

BabyMoPlusThree Well-Known Member

Ah, when I read the thread title, I was not sure what you were referring too- I thought it might be a "mature audiences" thread. I guess my mind is in the gutter- oh my!!

I also think this has to do with not eating. Sometimes I get caught up with things, and I end up not eating breakfast. I always regret it.

I also have bathroom issues. You should ask your OB/midwife about stool softeners and also try increasing your fiber supply. The fiber bars are yummy, but they can cause gas if you are not used to fiber.

9. Angelsamb

Angelsamb Well-Known Member

It also could have been some kind of headache from not sleeping and having an empty stomach.

10. teafor2

teafor2 Well-Known Member

For the constipation - I take Prenate Elite, which is a prenatal that has a small dose of Colace (stool softener) in it (small enough that I could take a second dose of Colace in the day if I felt I needed it). So far it has worked very well. I also eat a lot of fiber though, so I'm not sure which helps more.

As for the light headedness, I agree with PP about everything, and just wanted to add that I'm often lightheaded whenever I stand up too quickly. My doctor has told me to sit up from the bed, wait a second, turn and put my feet down, wait a second, then walk! And there actually was one time when I felt extremely dizzy after standing up from the toilet. My doctor says its normal in pregnancy, if you have normal blood sugar/blood pressure, etc. Just be careful, and take your time. I'd say ask your doctor if you're really worried. Always a good way to go.

I hope it doesn't happen again! Good luck!