life jackets...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Specky, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Hi. So it's getting to be that time of year. (A girl can wish can't she?)
    I will be having the boys were life jackets at the beach this year.
    I have no clue what to get. Christopher is 30lbs and Ryan is 25lbs. They will be a little over 2 1/2 this summer.
    Any suggestions?
    Also, how do you handle water safety at the beach?

2. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We have a jet ski that we take to a local lake. Dh's grandparents also have a second house on a lake. Life jackets are sold based on the weight of the child. The weights are printed on them. You need to find one that is their size.

As for water safety, my kids are not allowed in the water or on the dock without life jackets and an adult. That was the rules and they weren't open for debate. We did take them out in the water and show them that the life jackets would not let them sink and showed them how to kick around in them.

Marissa

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I really like the puddle jumper. Works fine for my kids starting at 20 pounds. Still allows them a lot of mobility but keep the head above water. Target has them as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00364E0C6/ref=asc_df_B00364E0C61449731?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-1159-95-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00364E0C6

4. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I went to our local dollar general market and they had life jackets that worked great. I have used them for three years now and am planning to go back and get them new ones from there as well since they have grown out of them. n They actually have poundage limits on the tag, which all life jackets should. They are around $20 each and IMO work just as good as the pricey ones from other stores. We also do not allow the girls in the water without them. They wear them to the beach and to the water park when we go. They have never complained, they just see it as normal.

5. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! Are the puddle jumpers good for playing on the beach? Cause im thinking they will have them on regardless... thanks again!

6. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

We bought ours at a local sporting goods store. They had a ton of them in the swimming section.

7. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

We used puddle jumpers last year and plan to use this year as well. I think they are great for running around at the beach, pool, etc. They seem to be pretty comfy in them and they worked great for us!

8. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I agree with the puddle jumpers. They are awesome. They like wearing them, they are easy to get them on and off and the kids think they are fun. They work great too and it allows them to move much easier. They are coast guard approved too.

9. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

those puddle jumpers look cute! I haven't seen them before.

we are still able to use the lifejackets we got them as infants that have the head support, they are neoprene and zip up the front, but are very cumbersome and kinda hot. I can't wait to check out the puddle jumpers, but then we might have to wait... as what I saw was for 30 pounds and up, and ours aren't 30 pounds yet...

10. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

Mine were barely 20 lbs last summer (if that) and we used them with no problems. Mine are 27 and 30 lbs now and the ones from last year, still fit them great (probably a little better now, but really had no problems last year).

11. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I had NO problem with my LO's - they were 17 and 19 pounds and were fine in them, still are at 28,29 pounds.